IEEE Standard 801.11

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Utsav Prabhu, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Utsav Prabhu

Utsav Prabhu OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi All,
    Could you please help me out? I need as much info on IEEE standard 801.11 as i can get my hands on within this week. I've been challenged to give a small lecture on this standard on sunday, and i have no clue about it:dead: , nor could i find much info on the web. Please send me information... even a helpful link will do. Thanks.

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

welcome to this board utsav pabhu!

in this case, and I never give the following advice, cause I think in most cases, we are better then google for answers to tech questions, but in this situation, google is really gonna help you much more then we will...if you want to approach from an interesting point of view, search google for "war chalking", and also search for "hot spots"

that'll give you some interesting perspective

after you do that, search for "how to secure wirelss network" which will give you solutions to present from the perspective of the first two searches.

you've got tons of material to choose from

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Can I be an ignoramus and ask whether this post was meant to be 802.11 for the standards reference?

That would prmpt the question of whether the B and G comparison and reasoning is a subject deserving attention also - If I am wrong and displaying an ignorance of standards numbers a linkie to what this standard actually is would be greast! That way I can educate myself.... ;)

4. Perris Calderon

good point...I speedread his post, and my response was for 802, not 801

I don't know anything about 801

5. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

801.11 is the original standard for wireless LANs, developed in the late 1980s. 801.11, however, took forever to adopt, so, eventually, the successor to it, 802.11, came out. The main difference between 801.11 and 802.11 is that the latter includes support for infrared networking (although it is rarely used) and mobile networking (although the original 802.11 does not support this). In spite of all that, though, 802.11 supports higher bandwidth rates; hence, we've got 802.11b (11 Mbps, 2.4 GHz), 802.11a (54 Mbps, 5.5 GHz [I believe]), and 802.11g (54 Mbps, 2.4 GHz).

In other words, 801.11 is the IEEE standard that kicked wireless networking off, even if it became obsolete faster than it could be implemented.

Melon

6. Perris Calderon

nice post, rep coming

7. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Actually, the entire 801 standard went out the door as well :laugh:. I'm still waiting on 802.11e and 802.11i. I wish that a standard would come out to combine "e" and "i" into one standard (call it 802.11j) since I want the QoS control of "e" with the AES encryption of "i."

8. Utsav Prabhu

Thanks a lot... this sort of clears things up a bit... all i could find online was stuff about 802.11... nevertheless, i still need to know more about 801.11... if you know any more details about it, then please tell me... any links will be helpful... if you have any pdf files regarding this then please send them to my email address... utsavprabhu@gmail.com

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

When looking for something you could try the source, but this will be the technical details, probably not an over view for a qucick course.

http://standards.ieee.org/

10. Utsav Prabhu

Thanks guys... got enough to start on... i know where to go next time i need info, now.

11. Nighthawk-F117

Nighthawk-F117 OSNN Junior Addict

What about 802.11n? I thought this was set to follow-up from 802.11g? Are 802.11e and 802.11i set to supercede 802.11n, even though it's not out?

12. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

802.11q :D you know it sounds the best :p