IDE configuration Question

C

Chensu

Whats the best IDE setup for the following, Ive heard conflicting ideas, can anyone with real xp-erience! tell me.. :D

I have 2 HDDs, DVD/CD drive, CDRW drive. Should I set both HDDs to masters, and DVD/CDRW to slaves? or both HDDs on one IDE channel, DVD/CDRW on the other.

Chensu. :cool:

my personal opintion with this would to be have the two HDD's on one and the dvd and cdrw on the other, it is that the cd roms will be a slower transfer rate than a hdd and the dma will run with the slowest one

agreed.

and on the channel with the dvd and cdrw... have the dvdrom be master.

Dont know if this is true or not, but Ive been told that running both drives on the same ide will impair your ability to burn "on the Fly" I have both mine on the same channel and havent had any problems though. I usually prefer to burn from an image anyways.

Ditchhopper, i've heard that as well. i think it even warns u of that in Nero if you try to burn from one drive to another on the same chain. i've never tried it cause i'd rather not turn a perfectly good CD into a coaster or nice tree ornament for christmas.

Never tried it with nero. Its worked succesfully with clone cd and blindwrite but as I understand it your chances of making coasters goes way up. No problems yet though.

exactly the reason why i think onboard raid is a worthwhile feature on any motherboard.

each of my 4 drives is master of it's own channel.

Having the DVDd and the CDRW on the same channel will impair on-the-fly a bit. But a modern computer should be fast enough to handle it anyway. Anyway, the other alternative (one hdd on each channel) will impair "normal" burning even more, so that's not a good idea. And general performance will be worse.

HDD:s together on the primary channel, DVD and CDRW together on the secondary channel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back