iBook G4 Logic Board Failure

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Just thought I would share my experiences of this particular type of problem so that others might be able to properly get their iBooks fixed should this problem arise.

Basically the symptoms are as follows
Boot up machine, cd rom drive makes a noise or two as it does in a normal boot process, screen flashes itself so that its "on" though doesnt display anything, finally the system fan kicks in, on high speed (in normal operation I have never heard it at high speed, this is the one time when I have really heard the fan, and I do mean really heard it. Think original GeForceFX card.) That is about all the machine will do. You cant boot into single user, target disk mode or anything like that because it just never gets that far.

If you get this symptoms then I recommend checking your warranty information and then calling Apple support, they will probably get you to perform a few key combinations during the boot process, most of which will fail. At this point I was then given a case number and informed of my nearest Apple Authorised Retailer. From there you take the machine to the retailer and they will replace the logic board for you, time for this will vary depending on the size of your apple retailer, smaller ones will likely not keep the board in stock so you will have to wait longer, larger ones which can keep a supply of parts the wait should be much shorter.

I do hope that this information helps people who experience this problem. To be perfectly honest I was incredibly pleased with the conduct of Apple support and shocked that there was even an Apple retailer so close (5 minutes walk) but as with all things the "mileage" may vary on the latter.

Even if out of warranty Apple replaced my friends logic board, which died early friday morning.

He walked into the Apple store, the people took a look at it, and told him to come back in a few hours, he came back in a few hours, and got his iBook, and it works perfectly again.

this is the first i have heard of this problem in the newer generation ibooks :s
I know that the older generations had hideous problems during the period in the faq that scott linked to.

Not quite "hideous", Sean. Just blown way out of proportion by most people as per usual when something goes wrong.

SPeedY_B said:
Not quite "hideous", Sean. Just blown way out of proportion by most people as per usual when something goes wrong.

I would think that a logic board failure is quite hideous in itself, dave.

I would hardly call it hideous. Annoying as ûûûû, maybe. Not hideous though, that's over-reacting a bit.

It was blown out of proportion by the Mac haters. They made it seem like it was such a HORRIBLE thing to happen, forgetting that Dell/HP, and others have had the same sort of problems in the past.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back