I want to start my ftp!

S

saqib

I am on LAN and using windows XP. I want to start my own ftp server but it doesnt allow me to do so....if I do then I get my local IP as 10.1.1.15 or somethin like that....where is my real IP?

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mhkgte
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.10

This is the result!

That is probably becuase you are on a LAN behind NAT (usually a router/firewall). If you want to run a FTP server accessable from computers outside your LAN, you have to map/forward port 21 from the router to your local PC. If you want to host a FTP for only PCs on your LAN, you need to do nothing. Either way you need to get a FTP server program like Serv-U or G6 and run it.

JJB6486

Hey JJB6486 thanks for the detail reply! I got things u said but I want to run a ftp server for public and for sharing purposes! So can u guide me how can I do this? and how can I make my 21 port open for other computers through my router?
Actually all setup is in the office which is on 10th floor and we sharing the net connection on 23rd floor so if u know an easy way I can do to run a server please let me know!
thanks!

Hmmmm, that might be a tough one.

Try getting one of the free dns redirectors, like www.dns2go.com
It might help you pick up your real ip and let you run an ftp server. However, I would strongly not recommend even trying to run an ftp server on port 21, as it is probably already there, since you have a LAN. And also, other ports might be closed. That DNS redirector will let you become "visible" to public under a normal name. But if the ports are closed on your proxy/router/nat, which is that "Gateway" address in the ipconfig /all result, you are probably out of luck.

saqib
That depends totally on what router you have. You'll have to access the router somehow. Since you are in an office that may be hard. I take it you are not responsible for the routers? You'll probably have to ask someone who is. Doesn't the office have an FTP where you can put your files btw?

Well I do have access to the office cuz my father works there..so I can do minor changes if its easy!
Second....I dont know who has set up the whole systems and LAN but one thing is problem that 23 port is open for our IP and now mIRC disconnects me automatically after 5 minutes saying that you have an open port/proxy etc or something like that....well doesnt matter for it.....but teach me how to make my computer enable to setup a ftp!
thanks!

Go to the office, open port 12345, forward it to your internal ip ( 10.1.1.5 ) and set up bulletproof ftp client on this port. And you should be set. Note only, this way FTP server will be running in PORT mode, so ppl will have to set it to PORT on their clients.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back