I need your help!!! EMERGENCY...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by geokas, Oct 11, 2002.

1. geokas

geokas Guest

Guys,
    My pc was running fine and after a sudden cut of power (I live in Greece :p) I switched my pc on again and none of my 4 usb's were working!!!!
    What happened?????

P.S. My pc specifications are:
    M/B GIGABYTE 8SR533
    Intel P4A 2ghz
    512Mb DDR-RAM
    GFORCE 4 TI4400 (CREATIVE)
    40GB WD
    SB AUDIGY PLAYER (BULK)

P.S.2 :rolleyes: sorry about my english... :rolleyes:

2. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

are these on board of add in card?

3. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

windows proberly cause this to happen, to resolve your problem
    right click the my computer icon then goto propties then hardware management, at the bottom you will see your usb hubs located right click it, then goto propities and untick the option that says alow this device to shut the computer down,
    that should fix your problem, but i am sure some one else has a better answer to give you.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

zedric, i've been meaning to get one of those... was curious about something, first. if it's labelled "200watt", does that mean that the backup can only put out 200 watts of power? keep in mind i don't want my computer to be able to be on for any more than a couple minutes after the power goes out... just enough time to say "oh, s**t" and shut down. i mostly want it for the voltage regulation.

so, can i get a small, cheap one? or do i need one with like "500watts" for my pc and 19" monitor?

6. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

I would get the bigger 500w one. I personally have a 350w version and if my 19" monitor is plugged in, it beeps often (overload indication). So, I only have the PC itself on the UPS, so if the power went out, I would have to shut the PC off from the case button and hope it shuts off in time since I wouldn;t be able to use the monitor.

The way I have works well as a voltage regulation though. Whenever a big appliance is turned on (like my wife's 200 horsepower vacuum :)), I can hear the UPS click to run off battery until the supply evens out again.

To figure out the size you need, simply add up all your wattages of each component. Note: even though you have a 450w PC power supply doesn't mean it is drawing 450w all the time, just when the PC requires it (drives spinning, high CPU/GPU loads, etc). Average PC wattage is probably about 150-200w depending on components and use. A 19" monitor is about 220w typical.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

thanks for the info. i really didn't want to spend much on one. is there such thing as an inline voltage regulator? i don't really need a battery backup.

8. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Hmm, I believe what you want then is a line-conditioner. They do not use batteries, just transformers that step up or down the voltage depending on input voltage. Check out this link:

http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=35289

I'm sure you can find other, this will just give you an idea what to look for. Tripp Lite makes good products by the way.

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

But if the power cuts out it won't help you the least bit...

10. geokas

geokas Guest

thank you guys for your replies but my problem hadn't solved...

Jz1397-4 my usb's are both in board and on an add in card and also on my pc case! and none of them work!!!!

surge i did what you told but nothing changed...

11. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Well i reckon when the power went, you trashed some important files running the usb devices. I would normally think they'ed blown but if you them on a card as well then I doubt it.

Go to device manager, remove all the usb stuff, hubs, controllers etc. Shut down and restart and see if that cures it.