I need help helping

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ohzopants, May 24, 2004.

1. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

First of all I swear my intentions are good, I do not plan on using anything you guys tell me maliciously.

A friend of mine just bought his first computer and doesn't know a thing about computing. He keeps calling me for help, but it is very difficult for me to explain to him how to do stuff (i.e.: he couldn't even keep track of where he was unzipping files). Is there an application that will let me control his computer remotely, WHILE HE CAN SEE WHAT I AM DOING? The last part is very important because I want him to be able to see what I am doing so that I can explain as I go.

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

3. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

You got more patience than me. I would tell ne friends of mine to buy idiots guide to (whatever operating system they're using) book.

Good Luck!

4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

There are a lot of applications that can do this.

VNC (as was mentioned) is a great one.. there are many different versions of VNC - including the realVNC version someone already mentioned.
    Personally, I like TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/) a little better for bandwidth concerns..

If they are running Windows XP, you can use the built in Remote Assistance functionality..
    There is also Netmeeting and/or MSN Messanger that allows for desktop sharing..

You can also check out http://www.ypsolog.com/docs/comp/other/remotectrl.html for a list of various remote control products and some of ther advantages or disadvantages..

--fitz

5. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

thanks a lot guys i think I'm going to try one of the VNC's, because all the built in windows ones suck (IMHO)