I Need Hd Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by melon, Jan 15, 2003.

1. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

OMG...my D: drive just failed I think...no warning whatsoever. Windows XP suddenly said that something is corrupted and now, even though the drive is viewable, I can't access anything. But I need *all* the files on there! Help! Is there anything I can do to retrieve it all????? Any program????

Melon

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Have you tried safe mode? What about booting to a prompt window & trying to copy/move to another drive?

3. melon

Okay...so I bought a recovery program online. Luckily, it has worked. However, now Windows seems to recognize it again. :huh: This was after enough errors through CHKDSK and my label is lost (not that it isn't difficult to re-label).

Does this make any sense to anyone? My hard drive, in the past and recently, has been making a click noise once in a while, although there was no clicking when it failed. Does this mean anything?

Melon

4. Jmtyra

Jmtyra Guest

I would burn as much stuff as you can onto CDs. This way you don't get screwed if the HD dies.

Good luck! :)

5. melon

Here's the update:

Windows *isn't* really re-recognizing it. The program I bought, R-Studio 2.0, is making Windows recognize it right now. When I check the drive, Windows XP recognizes it as a RAW drive.

It is a nice program. Worth the $80. And, since I bought it from a Canadian company, I can only hope that that is $80 Canadian...lol. Right now, most of the stuff is sitting on my C: drive, and good old RAW D: is still there with all the stuff anyway.

Melon

6. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Yikes! Clicking is not a good sign! When that happened to me (on an IBM 60GB drive), the drive only lasted a day longer. Lucky I'm a backup freak, so I had everything imaged onto another physical harddrive.

Does your motherboard and harddrive support SMART? You might have to enable it in BIOS. When your system boots, SMART will tell you if it thinks there is a problem with the drive. In my case, it had said something like: "Drive D is experiencing imminent failure, yadda, yadda, yadda.". Something you might want to check into.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Ok, now, really quickly backup ALL important data on the drive onto some other drive or CD:s or whatever you can find. That drive is definately drawing it's last gasps!

If you can't backup all data right now, disconnect the disk until you can.

8. melon

Okay...funny enough, *now* Windows is recognizing it as an NTFS format, after it went through CHKDSK, and corrected a lot of bad indexes.

I already backed up everything of importance. I just don't get it.

Melon

9. Zedric

Keep the backup! The disk might die any day.

10. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

If it's clicking, it can die any second.

Beware, disks can click for lots of time.

I had a WD that clicked for two months...then it died.

11. Paul_Don

Paul_Don Guest

The same thing happeded to me a month ago seems to work fine now though after many a hour sitting there watchin scan disk relocate all ma stuff was a ibm was it??

12. melon

Well, regardless, it hasn't been doing well. It refuses to run at ATA 100 speed anymore, and, as I look back, I once checked it running in DMA 4, rather than 5, and, currently, it is in PIO mode. It is still alive, but I think I want a new drive after this.

Melon

13. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

anytime you start getting bad sectors on a hard drive and errors.. DUMP IT after retrieving your pertinent information :)

its kaput/finished/dead/road kill...

don't use that drive for anything... get your stuff out and invest in a new device if you can...

14. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

tick tick tick BOOM, hard drive shorts PSU, PC dies on the spot....

15. Zedric

That sounded very apocalyptic. Don't think that happens too often. At least not because of mechanical failure.

16. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

You can use it as a paperweight!

What make of drive is it, I had an IBM one of their infamous ones, which died about 6 times before really going down the tiolet, I was usually able to get to work again after a low level format. This would then work for anywhere from 3 months to 7 months.

But apart from that I would agree with everyone here, get a new drive and use the one thats dying for either a paperweight or a stranged shaped "clay" pigeon. Ventilate it!

17. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

if u split em open and get the 2 magnets out there the strongest damn things u seen in a while !!!!!!

also takin a hdd apart and using the disc as a nice clock for example. real easy to make and cost u about 2 quid in parts :)

18. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

nice

I think there was a Swede or a Norwegian who took a faulty hard drive down to the shooting range and blew a few holes in it with his luger

19. Paul_Don

Paul_Don Guest

actually saw someone post a video of him usin them as really crap speakers

20. Zedric