I lost a close friend today

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Perris Calderon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I just recieved word, one of my childhood friends, we grew up together...since I was four years old, passed away today, at home, taking a shower...he had health issues and this happened from natural causes

we just had our high school reunion last week, he actually looked great there, he was trimming down, had a big smile on his face and a robust air about him, he was dancing with everyone and having a ball

anyone that has been a yankee fan through the years would know this guy

if you remember a few years back, when boggs was with the yankees, every game the camera would zoom into this guy in the stands, a round funny kid dancing as if he was a gift to the world

his antics and dance were even the subject of a david letterman...the day letterman had boggs on the air, letterman shows a video of my friend and says

"so what's the story with this guy"

boggs says something like;

"nobody knows"

his name was Leslie Cohen, a big heart, never ever hurt anyone, and as god will be my witness, I never once heard him talk anyone down...ever

back when everyone had fireworks for the fourth of july leslie, me and my other friends would actually have bottle rocket fights, lighting them up with "punks" while holding them and tossing them at each other, it seemed like leslie could out run our bottle rockets...we were pretty lucky they were easy to dodge because none of us ever got hit

believe it or not this was something we did on the fourth of july in far rockaway new york, we came from a rough bunch of parents and we were a rough bunch of kids

lesle always told us that when he became rich he would deposit a million dollars in each of our bank accounts...he meant it too.

check out this story;

we were driving home one night in leslie father's car, (back then we all used our parents car), and we were being loud, windows down, being obnoxous

so this guy pulls up to the light we're stopped, he gets out of his car, he is easily over 6' tall and a tough guy trying to show off for his date

he opens leslies door and pulls leslie out of the drivers seat

leslie bounds out from his seat as if he's on a spring when they guy pulls him out, he grabs this monster of a guy below the hips, picks him up and slams him on the ground, pins his arms with his knees and tells the goon he'd better watch who he starts fights with.

the rest of us didn't have time to get out of the car and leslie had it covered, nobody hurt though this guy surely wanted a brawl

leslie is only about 5'5"...never started a fight but you couldn't start a fight with him either

he was always on the move, loved life, loved hustling new deals, always a kind word for everyone

whenever we wanted to go to a yankee game we could calll leslie, he had some kind of celebrity status because he was such a recognized charachter, they always let us in without tickets if we were with lesly

I am gonna miss my friend

Leslie Cohen, rest easy, rest well.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
    madmatt likes this.
  2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Re: lost one of my best friends today

I am sorry for your loss. Stay strong Perris.

Perris Calderon likes this.
  3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Sorry for your loss mate :(

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

My condolences, perris.

5. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Sorry for your loss! Please remember the good things about him, tell people how he lived. Not how he died.

6. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Sorry to hear this Perris. Always remember him. And if you go to a Yankees game within the next week maybe talk to them and see if they would put up his name on the scoreboard "in memory of". Would be a nice gesture.

7. kennethfcca

kennethfcca OSNN One Post Wonder

God Bless you perris,

Leslie was very lucky to have a friend like you, using this sometimes scary internet to giving him a moving tribute. I'm sure he will be watching over you

kenneth [North Wales]

8. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

My condolences perris

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

r.i.p.

10. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

its sad to loose a freind but as long as you remember them they are with you.

Sorry to hear about your loose Perris

11. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Sorry for your loss, Perris. Everyone needs a friend like that.

12. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Sorry to hear about this, but thank you for sharing it with us.

13. AllWeatherGal

AllWeatherGal Not Just for Fair Weather Political User Folding Team

Everyone should have such a lovely tribute to send him or her on the way ... nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Perris Calderon and tdinc like this.
  14. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

Perris, I am truly sorry for your loss.

15. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Sorry to hear of your loss Perris, but I think you are doing the right thing - remembering all the good times, rather than sitting around feeling badly.

16. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

So sorry to hear...life is hard sometimes, and things happen that shouldnt. My deepest condolences Perris!

17. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

Sorry to hear about your friend Perris. stay strong bud.

18. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

hey, check out these articles that were emailed to me by some of les's friends;

http://www.canarsiecourier.com/news/2006/0413/OtherNews/026.html

and this one in the post

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0401200...the_scenic_root_regionalnews_debbie_cohen.htm

amd another

http://www.timesledger.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=18605182&BRD=2676&PAG=461&dept_id=542415&rfi=8

cool

some of us are trying to get some kind of tribute going over at the stadium...I think we should all dress up like les did and do one of his dances whenever the yankees get a hit

/working on it