I installed Vista and I love it!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Johnny, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I just installed Vista, evrything is working right out of the box. I didn't have to update my drivers for sound or video. It is working great .. I am really liking it .. :)

2. Johnny

Re: I installed it and love it !!

I have a question.. How do I disable the icons for the sound and network connections that show up in the task bar?? I tried to hide them, but, they wouldn't let me ...

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Not got vista yet but I'd imagine there is a check box in the relevant control panel applet somewhere - just a question of digging around for it.

4. Johnny

I fiugured it out. The option for it is in the task bar setting now. It gives you a choice to show, or hide the clock; volume control; \network connections and power icon (if you have a laptop).

I learned something else also. The system restore takes has changed; when do a restore point and install a program, then go back to the point of restore you will lose your post restore point instillations. The good about it that you don't have to go into safe mode to do it anymore .. Losing post installs is a major set back. So I guess the best thing to do to solve that is to do a restore point before you install something ... That way if it screws up you and you have to go back, you won't lose anything ..

Another thing, stylexp does not work with vista. That is what screwed me up causing me to go back ..

Shamus MacNoob likes this.
  5. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

In Taskbar and Start menu settings there is a notification area and in that it lists which icons to show all the time volume is one of them , I removed the check mark and it no longer shows .

Doh a little late but at least it is a detailed how to :lick:

Dont rush to get it your not missing anything that great , plus there are many apps that just dont work with vista ..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2006
  6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Johnny: of course StyleXP doesn't work with it yet. wouldn't make sense for a company like that to make a program for an OS while it was in it's beta stages, and it's still not out to the general public. it shouldn't take long after it's available though till it's usable.... just may take a bit till there are some stylish themes.

Shamus MacNoob likes this.
  7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I'm quite happy waiting till the end of January/February as I have much more urgent things to direct my money to at the moment :)

8. Johnny

Yeah, I hope so. I am tired of looking at this default theme already lol .. I do like this a lot though. It works great, I haven't had any issues with it yet that would cause me to go back to xp.

9. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Isn't there a Windowsblinds that works with Vista?
    Vaguely remember something.

10. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Is there a way of disabling icons from showing the contents of the file(s)?
    For example, stop an icon from showing the actual photo of a jpg file or a picture of a video?

11. Johnny

Go to windows explorer/tools/folder options/view - The first selection under Files and folders you will see always show icons, never thumbnails. Put a check in it ... and click apply..

12. koreanmasters99

koreanmasters99 OSNN One Post Wonder

anyone able
    to get rid of the 30 days
    activation problem

13. Shamus MacNoob

Yes I activated and it went away!!!!!!!!!!!

LordOfLA likes this.
  14. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

You kill me :D

15. Shamus MacNoob

:lick: Was too easy !

16. Johnny

Yes, that was way too easy lol .. Too bad he don't own a business like me :)

I have another issue. Is there anyone who is having probs getting their printers to work ? I have a lexmark P4350 all in one, it won't install.

17. technokid88

technokid88 Part of a System Folding Team

yeah im waiting on getting my free copy.

18. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Woot, am running Vista now. as full only OS

19. Shamus MacNoob

I run vista and I have no drivers for my Lexmark either ... not sure if I am going to keep it because I really like my X64 XP so we will see.

20. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I wasn't impressed with Vista at all. It has a few good ideas but not enough for me.

[sarcasm] I just love [/sarcasm] how they use Apps Data instead of Application Data even though Application Data sill exists. I tried an early version so they may have changed it.

I hate the explorer layout. the fancy login screen, how it defaults to stand by and I cant change it to shut down (can change it to anything else).

I may install my free copy to see whats changed. But I'm not sure if I will keep it installed, we'll see.