I have an undeletable folder! Help!

Originally posted by TBone
Tried both of those, no luck.

I used Scan Disk by right clicking on my hard drive and going to Properties and then Tools and then checking for errors is that correct?

If so, it found no problems, and... didn't work.

T Bone

Do you have norton or another 3rd party utility prog? Run that if yes. If not, then I give up. Reformat? Just kidding. :)

Typically, it is not possible to rename or delete files or folders that have leading or trailing spaces. If you try to rename or delete these folders of files, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Error renaming file or folder

Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.
-or-
Error deleting file or folder

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

That's a quote I found searching for the error message. Your screenshot looks as if the folder name has a space at the end. I've found two possible solutions, reported to work.

1. Try Hipster's suggestions once again, but add this step. In the command prompt of the directory that contains the folder you want to delete type DIR /x and press enter. This should give you the DOS name of the folder. Then try this name to delete it.

or

2. use this command RD \\.\C:\fxp\xboxc\game tools (source: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q120716)

or maybe combine both.
Hope it works.

Wow, thanks YoYo!

A combination of the 2 worked, after closing explorer and leaving the task manager open so it wouldn't automatically restart...

Thanks a lot!

I used dir /x and then the rd \\.\directory here with the name from dir /x after closing explorer.

Weird, do you know why this worked and nothing else?

Just curious.

Thanks a lot,

T Bone

I have a folder called xerox in program files it is always empty
( yes I show all files) and cannot be deleted it is part of the install but what does it do???
I am a minimalist and if I don't need it I don't want it....unless we are talking about memory, drive capacity , cpu speed...and oh yeah ... graphics.

Grym ( and trying to make that delete ....complete) blayd

i never did see the folder but the fact it had a space at the end leads me to believe it was made by a maze kiddie ...if you have an ftp serve never allow anon. access to it

Originally posted by Grymblayd
I have a folder called xerox in program files it is always empty
( yes I show all files) and cannot be deleted it is part of the install but what does it do???
I am a minimalist and if I don't need it I don't want it....unless we are talking about memory, drive capacity , cpu speed...and oh yeah ... graphics.

Grym ( and trying to make that delete ....complete) blayd

I get the same thing, but I don't worry about it. I'm a "minimalist" also, but there's a point to where I just don't care.

yeah me too, I just don't like to be told no....I get that enough from my "lady".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back