I am now HAM Radio Licensed in the US

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by X-Istence, Jun 8, 2008.

1. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

This morning I went and took the test for the FCC regulation amateur radio license. I am now licensed at the technician class out of the three classes that are available:

Technician
    General
    Extra

I did try to take the test for the General license, however I did not make it to that level of licensing. I am really happy I have my HAM radio license. It will certainly make it easier when I am working on my near space class and setting up equipment to track the balloon and to communicate with other team members as we chase it.

2. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

congrats x! always thought about doing this but never got around to studying for it.

3. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

So what does being HAM Radio Licensed mean? How would it affect this balloon tracking? (Just curious)

4. X-Istence

It means I am allowed to transmit on the 2 meter, 6 meter and 70 cm bands that are set aside for amateur radio. For balloon tracking this is useful since the data we are going to be transmitting from the balloon will be transmit in the 2 meter band, containing APRS data, we need to co-ordinate with other HAMs out there to make sure we are not on a frequency they are using, and whether or not we are allowed to use their repeaters.

We also want to communicate with them in case we need fox hunting skills and in case they have found the balloon after it comes back down.

5. X-Istence

http://www.eham.net/exams/

Take the technician test a few times, and just remember the questions and the answers. I did about 6 tests the morning of, and on the way to the testing location in the car, and I passed missing only one question out of 35, which is awesome.

Most of the FCC regulations are common sense, so go with what makes the most sense as an answer!

6. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I always knew you were a "Ham". :p

J/K

Congrats X-Istence.

7. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Mmm, ham and cheese.

Congratulations JW. Does this mean OSNN is going to have its own station and I'll get my own show?

8. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Yay well done you, my hubby is an amateur radio fanatic and has a ham radio license too. I think I've posted pics of his gear before?? ..................73's for now :laugh:

9. X-Istence

I don't think I have seen pictures of his gear. I have a fairly simple hand held radio. The Yaesu VX-6R.

10. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

congrats

11. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Why would anyone make a radio made from ham?

That just sounds like a load of baloney :smoker:

12. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Aaaaa, just another day in the Deli line.