I am here no longer to be using utorrent. They are off my list.

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Johnny, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

This is just plain stupid. Good-Bye uTorrent.

Got info from here -> µTorrent Introduces "µTP" Reforming BitTorrent - ExtraTorrent.com The World's Largest BitTorrent System

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

bittorrent is same as utorrent now, and i bet other torrent progs will follow suit.

So what program you using now then? will it or does it have ipfilter? ;)

3. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

As far as I have read it is mainly the upload speed which may get reduced which I could care less about.

Source

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Yeah...... i've seen this on Gizmodo, too. what's your point?

Did you notice them saying that it's not the downstream connection that tends to get congested, but more the upstream? By the sound of it they're not focusing on capping download and upload bandwidth to some ridiculously low speed. They're going to try to have uTorrent automatically adjust the upload speed so that the lines don't get congested. I have a 15Mbit/2Mbit connection.... and i generally limit my upload bandwidth to 15k. I'm still able to hit 1.5MB/sec download speeds should there be enough seeds/peers to connect to. What they're talking about is how people will have say, the same connection speed as me, but will limit their upload speeds to like 5k or so. At that point, their download speeds are automatically capped by uTorrent (and possibly other clients... i dunno)... and it tends to be at a MUCH lower speed than they are capable of.

5. Johnny

They are going to be limiting the upload speed. But the big picture is that the limiting of the uploads speed will automatically limit the downloads speed.

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

A) it's not even out yet as far as i'm aware, so there's no proof of that.

B) they want to reduce congestion, not eliminiate it.... so unless the system they have in place to gauge whether or not the connection is being congested by upstream traffic thinks it's becoming congested by a miniscule amount of upload bandwidth in comparison to your download bandwidth, download speeds will not be hindered so much. Like i said.... my connection has a 2Mbit upload stream.... which would translate into roughly a 244KB/s maximum throughput. If this new system thinks that even 15KB/s is too much and cuts it down even further than that, there's something wrong with it. That's probably the easiest way to tell how congested your upstream traffic is. have something uploading data in uTorrent, and gradually increase the upload limit while browsing the internet. You'll notice that the higher you go, the longer it takes for webpages to load. Like they say... download isn't everything.

I rarely ever really see any slowdown in my browsing ability, even when uploading at 15KB/s, and downloading at or near my max. uTorrent doesn't really ever seem to take full control of bandwidth... and often times browsing the web will decrease the download rate of uTorrent ever so slightly, until the page loads. upload rates, however, seem a bit more difficult to control. Guess you could maybe say that it's easier for uTorrent to determine if an application on the computer is attempting to use the downstream bandwidth than it is to determine whether or not upstream bandwidth is required by an application.

7. Johnny

B) I know all about that ..

We will have to wait and see I guess.

8. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Thanks for the educational information, anyway, Johnny. For now I'll continue to semi-blindly update all my apps to the latest version until I actually see a behavior I regret. :D

9. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

10. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I'm tellin' ya...the best protocol is NNTP with SSL.

11. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

mm.. i think u can disable utp anyway, right?

12. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Does not sound all that bad to me anyway as it is aimed at people on your LAN not the WAN from what I read:

13. Johnny

I looked and I guess you can disable it ..

[​IMG]

They name it transfer cap here. ?

14. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I believe µTP started in 1.8.x, it's just disabled while they work on it, while it will be turned on by default in 2.0 is all. From the sounds of it it works something like Vegas, and adjusts upload (and in some cases downloads) based on dropped/late packets. Oh, and you can disable it.

For all the reasons to hate µTorrent this is a silly one. :)

15. Johnny

Well, as long as I can disable it; I will continue to use it :)