HTPC Motherboard w/Onboard USB 3.0

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mightymo77, Jan 1, 2011.

1. mightymo77

mightymo77 OSNN Junior Addict

I'm going to be building a HTPC soon. I need a motherboard that has onboard USB 3.0 so that I can connect the front USB ports of my case (I want USB 3.0 in the front, not 2.0). All the motherboards I find have USB 3.0 for the back ports, but the onboard is 2.0. Does anyone know of any models?

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

It wouldn't matter. I've yet to see a case that has front USB 3 ports.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

ASUS has had one since last summer and possibly ASROCK (announced in October so it should be available by now).

If the case doesn't support front USB 3 then look for a floppy or HDD bay add on that supports USB 3 connections.

Plan B would be to get a USB port extender that sits on the desk and connect it to the USB 3 in the back. That is what I do since most of my cases don't have USB up front. It's cleaner than cables hanging out the front of the PC and if you trash a connector just replace the extender.

4. mightymo77

Are you joking? LanLi makes a bunch. Here's another one

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Well that's a first for me but I also haven't been shopping for a case recently.

Also, in just looking at a few examples, many of them use pass through cables for the front 3.0 port.

6. mightymo77

What does pass through cables mean?

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

plug them in to the rear ports to feed the front ports :)

8. mightymo77

I'm going with the Silverstone case:

[​IMG]

The front USB ports are connected by a 9-pin assembly right? Is there such thing as a cable to connect that to a normal USB (run it outside the case and plug it into the back USB port)?

LOL if not I'll just skip 3.0 :dead:

9. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Yeah, a pass through is usually how they do it. Just make sure the cable is long enough, there are numerous cases where it is not.

10. mightymo77

Can you post a link or two to one of these cables, I can't seem to find any.