HTML Question

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by silky62678, Sep 9, 2003.

1. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Im making a HTML file for my desktop background "active desktop"
    I would like to make all links instead of having icons. The trouble im having is making a link for "My Computer, and My Network places. Those 2 places im not able to make a link for.
    Sample
    <a href="C:\Documents and Settings\rroberson\My Documents\Security">Security</a><br>
    That is the code for my Security link. When i put my computer in it, it doesnt work, any ideas?

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

try...

<a href="explorer C:\Documents and Settings\rroberson\My Documents\Security">Security</a><br>

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Nope, that does nothing. You have to place file:///C:\windows\explorer.exe C:\[...] (note the 3 (three) '/') and that will just call up the 'Security' folder in My Documents. To call for the My Computer, hmm, I don't know. I do know that explorer uses special identifiers for special 'folders' like My Computer, but I don't know what they are.

4. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

5. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

YEah, i guess that's the real question. I normally copy the path, but "My Computer" the path is alittle different....Any ideas

6. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

ok, does anyone know what folder the main My computer.exe is located?

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

There is no My Computer exe.

Make the link do this:

<a href="My Computer">My Computer</a>

I dont think this would work, butif you find a way to call iexplore.exe then you would have to set the status bar to My Computer and it would be able to go to My Computer or should do.

8. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

It's not present anywhere. It's like a part of the explorer.exe file (just like you have different command-line options like copy/s), but I don't know how to access it.