HTML Editor Recommendation

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Friend of Bill, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

I'm looking for an HTML Editor and would welcome any recommendations. My price range is up to $100.00 (USD). Must be stable, reliable and not require a PhD. in HTML editing.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Ehm, notepad?

I think you mean that you're after a web/html authoring application, rather than an editor. I doubt you'll have to pay for one, there must be some free one's out there, an example would be Mozilla's Composer application (not sure if it's available stand-alone yet though.)

3. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

4. Friend of Bill

Ok, I'll check it out. These are the applications that I'm considering:

AceHTML Pro
    HTML Kit
    Coffeecup HTML

5. Tweak

Tweak The Weedman

Don't use an authoring program like Dreamweaver or Frontpage. Well it depends on what your doing but I can tell you first hand as a programmer when I get code from my designers I ****ing want to kill them if they used those applications lol well not kill but you know what I mean. The only real way to make quality web sites is to learn HTML and it takes an hour so don't be another lazy newb when it comes to making sites. Don't be lazy.

I recommend Edit Plus which isn't really worked on a lot anymore but it was some awesome syntax highlighting and auto complete with it. Great for HTML if you know it. You can also create custom syntax for any language or download other's on their website.

6. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

I use EditPlus to do my html, php, java, sql and some others, the syntax highlighting is nice although the auto complete thing is annoying, turned that of. Also it has one of the best spell checkers ever! :)

7. Friend of Bill

Thanks for the insight, I'll checkout EditPlus.

8. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Dreamweaver MX is awesome, nice, and makes standards compliant XHTML/HTML. It should be on your list.

9. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

10. Tweak

Tweak The Weedman

MMM standards HTML and XHTML? Are you sure. I've definitely heard different but maybe I'm wrong. I avoid Dreamweaver :p

11. Friend of Bill

Dreamweaver looks nice but too expensive for me. I've been testing NoteTab Pro and so far I like.

12. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

well billy, you got note pad which is free you got first page 2000 (beware contains a low grade trojan, six buttons from hell which is easy to delete).

first page is here http://guards.dnsprotect.com/1stpage2.zipmyself I use note pade and frontpage 2002.

13. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

well billy, you got note pad which is free you got first page 2000 (beware contains a low grade trojan, six buttons from hell which is easy to delete).

first page is here http://guards.dnsprotect.com/1stpage2.zip myself I use note pad and frontpage 2002.

14. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Both Dreamweaver MX and GoLive CS do XHTML compliant coding, though from using a friends GoLive for about an hour trying to fix some layout stuff it has a horrible gui design interface, Dreamweaver MX is better, but then I was originally taught DW way back in its v2 days. Now I use stuff like Maguma and text editors like SciTE and Kate

15. ignipotentis

ignipotentis OSNN Addict

I think you need to be a little more specific in your request. You don't want to spend money to get a quality WYSIWYG tool like DreamweaverMX (the best wysiwyg availible). You also don't want to require a "Ph.D in HTML;" I'm not even sure that you need an Assc. to be competant in HTML.

Also, since it appears you are starting out, I'd suggest learning XHTML; its almost identical, but yields better coding practice for learners.

I think you should bite the bullet, learn the languate, and then use your favorite text editor such as vi, emacs, notepad, editpad, textpad...

16. Geffy

17. Tweak

Tweak The Weedman

My final comments is that no matter how compliant WYSIWYGs are in their XHTML, HTML, XML, etc. They still don't give you the CONTROL that text editors give you. Seriously. Even if the code on Dreamweaver is perfect XHTML it still can be hard sometimes to get Dreamweaver to do the small things that you want to do. So if your not lazy and do things by hand you have that control. Plus like said by ig, it costs money for Dreamweaver unless you get it illegally. You can find text editors all over the web for free.

18. Friend of Bill

Thanks all for the insight. I guess it's off to w3schools for me!

19. Geffy

Perfectly agree with that, you do need to understand how the HTML all fits together, but then you can use something like DW to speed the design, as long as you know how the HTML all works then you can just dive into the code when the package isnt doing just what you want it to.

@Friend of Bill: good man, learn it proper ;)