how to run .exe on linux(mandrake)???

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by @n!e, Jun 17, 2003.

1. @n!e

@n!e Guest

hi, i'm new to linux. I currently need to explore the linux platform for my project. i'm using Mandrake.

i would like to know:
    - how to run .exe file on linux.
    - how to compile java on linux platform. There are a few jdk for linux( e.g. blackdown JDK, IBM JDK, Sun J2SE and Kaffe). May i know which to choose? Is it all of them are mostly the same, and i can pick anyone of them?:confused:

thanks in advance.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Thread Moved

To run a Windows executable on the linux platform you will need WinE, or any other Win32 emulator, take a look at http://www.winehq.org/ for more info on WinE

3. lechtard

lechtard Guest

and remember that wine does not support all windows applications ..

4. @n!e

@n!e Guest

hi, i'm new to linux. I currently need to explore the linux platform for my project. i'm using Mandrake.

i would like to know:
    - how to run .exe file on linux.
    - how to compile java on linux platform. There are a few jdk for linux( e.g. blackdown JDK, IBM JDK, Sun J2SE and Kaffe). May i know which to choose? Is it all of them are mostly the same, and i can pick anyone of them? :confused:

thanks in advance.

5. @n!e

@n!e Guest

then if i'm doing a program in java. In the end i sure have to change it to .exe file, rite?
    I'm doin a crossplatform program, then that means everytime i need to use the programi need to have the WINE?

thanks .:(

6. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Merged :rolleyes:

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

No no no. Java programs don't have .exe at all. You always need a Virtual Machine environment to run a java file (.class). There are some special stuff to incorporate a .class and a VM in an .exe file, but I've never used one.

So what you do is:
    - Compile the Java
    - If you wish, make a .exe for the Windows
    - Just use a shell script for Linux (or something)

Doing a .exe for WinE in Linux is just stupid IMO. Totally unnecessary.

Good luck! :)