how to remove built in messenger

A

alphatoomega

can anyone tell me how to remove the built in msn messenger for xp?

Welcome alphatoomega. :)

Simplist thing is to rename the messenger folder to something like MessegerOff. C:\Program Files/Messenger.

Click Start / Run Then type the following:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Press ENTER
Restart Windows

Welcome!

MessengerOFF works; and so does the registry entry; if you wish to remove it all together.

i dont know about those registry and run things. for me simple delete that messenger folder works perfectly. it doesnt even say anything when i turn on outlook express :D

Posted by mafiafromrussia
i dont know about those registry and run things. for me simple delete that messenger folder works perfectly. it doesnt even say anything when i turn on outlook express :D
alphatoomega - Whatever option you choose, be assured this brilliant solution is not one of them. NEVER just delete the folder of an application that has been installed through MS installer.

Posted by allan
Click Start / Run Then type the following:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Press ENTER
Restart Windows

I did it this way and it worked perfectly for me.

allan have you tryed my method? i actually found it out by accident. it just annoyed me too much. so i decided to try to delete the folder and see what happens. nothing at all happened , except it doesnt start anymore. no problems at all.

Well except all the files that will be in your system folders related to the application and all the invalid keys you have created in your registry.

so? that makes any problem? i have not seen any errors from that .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back