How to quiet my PC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Digerati, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Digerati

Digerati Guest

I custom built my PIII 750 and I was wondering what I could do to minimize the noise it makes while operating, which is quite alot.

Either my power supply, CPU fan, or hard drives (or maybe a combination of all 3) are the culprits.

Anyhow, anyone have any guess as to which might be the true culprit or what i can do to get it more quiet. I'm getting really envious of the Dell computers I'm using at work, quiet as a baby when running. Mine sounds like turbine hell, system runs great, just operates loud.

I have an antec case (830x or something) with a 300 antec PS, a generic CPU fan for my PIII 750 (socket 370) and 2 western digital 7200rpm hard drives (20 gigs each).

Should I get a new PS? fans? etc.?

Any tips?

2. pothitos

pothitos Guest

well there are several things you could try. Soundproof matting or getting some new fans with a low dBa output or get some products from a company caled quietPC. They make PSU that are very very quiet. You could also try doing th 7v mod on you fans or even put in a rehostat

3. stevem2k3

stevem2k3 Guest

You might try a passive heatsink for that PIII

4. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

http://www.quietpc.com

One of the things often overlooked when building and keeping it quiet a PC is the quality of the case. You mentioned Dell, look at the quality of there cases. Thrown that $ 25.99 POS in the bin and go and buy a $100 one ;) :D

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I use blue tac on any rattles. Works well. Of course my new system doesn't rattle. :D Yet.

6. Digerati

Digerati Guest

thanks for all the suggestions so far, and btw, my case is a quality $99 Antec SOHO case

7. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Excellent :D