How to Quiet a LOUD hard drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Digerati, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Digerati

Digerati Guest

After tolerating the ridiculously loud noise that my computer makes, I finally decided to hunt down the culprits. By process of elimination I determined that at least 60% if not more of the noise coming from my computer came from my primary master hadrdrive, a Maxtor 20gb 7200rpm ata100 drive. The high pitched noise that constantly comes from the drive is most of what I hear despite having a quality Antec case. All the other components in my computer contribute little compared to this one drive.

Even my 15gb westerndigital 7200rpm ata66 drive is quiet compared to the maxtor.

A system I built for my brother using a western digital 40gb 5400rpm ata66 drive is a whisper compared to my maxtor.

So I guess my question is why is the drive so loud? is it because it's a maxtor or a 7200rpm drive? and is there anyway I can quiet this drive down?

The drive works great, just too noisy.

Thanks!

2. Rod

Rod OSNN Junior Addict

have you checked the maxtor web site for any firmware updates I had similair issues with a Quantium SCSI hard disk that just needed new firmware... this is the download section from maxtor and here you will find a utiltiy to adujst the drives sound.... hope this helps Click Here

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

My drive, the IBM Deskstar 75gxp (or something similar) has a downloadable application which has made my drive completely silent, which often still makes me think it has locked up!

4. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

In most cases, hard drive noise is caused by the mechanical parts in the drive. There is probably no real way to quiet only the drive. A good way to quiet the comptuer as a whole is to pad the case with Dynamat. Go to www.dynamat.com. They supplies sound-resistant case insulation and when placed according to the instructions will reduce the noice of your computer by up to 10db.

JJB6486

5. boxman

boxman Guest