how to pick ram sticks

FishBoy

Feeeesh
between all the hardware parts in a computer the ram is the only piece that i dont know much about, can anyone help me understand them and which brands are the best?
like what is ddr 2, the speed of them and all these numbers on them etc... thx

ummm can anyone delete this thread coz i double posted it by mistake, while posting the first one i got the DB error thingy so i went back and pressed post again sorry :S

FishBoy said:
ummm can anyone delete this thread coz i double posted it by mistake, while posting the first one i got the DB error thingy so i went back and pressed post again sorry :S
Taken care of. :)

I don't know a lot about these stuff myself, so this thread will be of interest to me once others contribute to the information. :)
However, I have read somewhere recently that DDR ram run at frequencies of 266, 333 and 400MHz while DDR2 can run from 400, 450? and 533MHz. Probably a mistake in the 450MHz figure.
As far as I recall, there isn't any point in leaping to DDR2 ram just yet as you would notice very little difference between them and the DDR ram in terms of performace. They are looking at ways to improve the performance with the nForce boards at the moment, but I doubt the boards will be available until later half of this year.

thx ming for the info :)

there is also a thing that's called dual channel ddr what's special about it?

FishBoy said:
thx ming for the info :)

there is also a thing that's called dual channel ddr what's special about it?

Rather than have all the data going through one stick of memory at any one time, why not have it split up into two which is supposed to make things run faster? :)

Dual memory effectively doubles the Mhz of the chips involve, thats whats supposed to happen anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back