How to foil the RIAA

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Petros, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Copyright laws state that a copyrighted work can be reproduced without permission if it is not reporduced in its entirety, as in when newspapers quote entire paragraphs from copyrighted works, or when you see a page or two as a sample on Amazon.

CDs are recorded at a sampling rate of 1411 Kbps, but an MP3 might be only 192 Kbps. So an MP3 is only 13.6% of the original work, thus it is legal to reproduce.

What do you think? :)

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

entirety == length... ergo quality v/s length argument is null and void...

newspaper issue == plagirism... bad form... amazon issue is valid due to it being a form of advertisement...

on the other hand I think RIAA sucks bollox... :)

now... if you 'sampled' the music and it was 4.11 mins long and you 'only' recorded 4.10 mins of it... :) I would be with you in terms of arguing that it was not a complete reproduction :D

the first of the last second of dead sound :) don't really need it...

3. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

dont break the law
    stealing is wrong ~ there is no valid excuse

:rolleyes:

4. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Re: Re: How to foil the RIAA

its not stealing really... as if the RIAA wanted to listen to the album, they could - stealing is really when you're taking a physical item from someone... in the process, removing their ability to use the item themselves :p

There was something on "The Register" a while back which went into the details of "copyright infringement" and how there are so many loopholes to avoid punishment by the RIAA.

It's still not right really, but I really believe music files should be readily available off the Internet for free (try before you buy schemes) with some sort of "limited-use" protection on the file.

It's a real shame that the Kbps thing wouldnt be a loophole, but the time thing I think it would...

5. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

Re: Re: Re: How to foil the RIAA

yes it is

taking without consent is unlawful

ignorance of the law will not save you

6. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to foil the RIAA

its not ignorance - its really not "stealing" unless the original owner loses his/her ability to use the product after it's taken.

7. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

:confused: I wouldn't argue with 2z he has got a big metal baseball club and a fast pc :eek: watch it ! :cool:

8. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

never an arguement tbh :)

Just a valid point on the word "stealing"

9. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

a rose by any other name is still a rose

Digital Millennium Copyright Act

/polishes big metal baseball club

:p

10. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

RIAA sux0rs my nuts0rs! there are so many other ways to fix this problem but nooooooooooooo they wanna sue everyone! there was 3million people on kazaa last night.... I don't think its working.

11. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Sazar....stop using the word 'ergo'!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

It's one of those things, you know, something you dont notice until someone points it out....then you notice it ALL the time!!

:)

12. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Lol...I abbreviate it to "e.g.," but I use it a lot too.

Leggo my ergo!

Current status of Kazaa: 3.7 million users sharing 5.5 petabytes of information. Wow!

13. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

whats wrong with the word ?

it makes a lot of sense... and is a nice little segue I reckon :D

a one word segue... always kewl :D

14. thebear

thebear d(-.-)b

v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
    v. tr. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

thought i'd clear that up...

The way I see this whole RIAA thing, is that I've paid them a load of money already (through the tariffs on digital media equipment and blank CDs which in turn I used for digital pictures and ligit music) that the mp3s I download have been indirectly payed for :)

15. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Nothing wrong with the word, just the amount you use it!! ;)

:cool:

16. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Unless it's a picture of it, then it's a picture of a Rose... NOT a Rose. :D

Digital Millennium Copyright Act is nothing but a ploy for the RIAA to impose it's will on every aspect of the Industry.

And it is NOT stealing... it is a copy thereof... You don't make a copy of an Automobile, you steal it... you don't make a copy of a T.V., you steal it... you don't make copies of money (unless it's counterfiet... Then it's still NOT stealing :p), you steal it... you walk into a Virgin Records MegaStore, you steal the CDs not copy them... Should I go on??? :rolleyes:

*polishes Two Z's seeking Missile* :p

17. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Thats the point I was trying to make (thx for indirectly putting what I was saying into clearer words Gonaads :)) - I wasnt trying to justify why people download music, nor was I saying its right, but I was simply saying, its not actually stealing.

18. avsdotcom

avsdotcom Guest

I can't believe ppl are trying to say that downloading music isn't stealing :rolleyes:

Everytime a record/cd is sold the recording artist gets paid a royalty on the sale - so if u don't buy it,if u dl it instead, u are taking money from that individuals pocket - and that's not stealin g ?

19. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Some people will say anything and do anything to get something for free :rolleyes:

20. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

so using that theory, you'd be stealing MONEY, not the CD which everyone seems to think it is.

I've never said downloading music is the right thing to do. I download music, and if I like it, I buy it (call it try before you buy). If I dont like it, I delete it from my computer... no need in keeping stuff I'm not gonna use.