how to develop a chat application/system?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by @n!e, Mar 25, 2003.

1. @n!e

@n!e Guest

I'm trying to develop a chat system which will be implemented into computers with cross platform (windows & linux). It's mainly like other existing chat sys( such as icq & msn messenger), which is able to share/message/chat information.

If i want to do such cross-platform chat system (compatible with windows and linux), what language that u guys recommend? i'm thinking of using java. and what things i need to know b4 doing this kind of system?:blink: ;)

2. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

If you've never programmed before then don't expect this task to be quick or easy.

Java would be a language for doing what you describe. Other than learning the java language in general, you would also have to learn aspects related to making a user interface and networking in Java.

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Java sound like a good idea. When you make the GUI, make sure you use Swing instead of AWT. Swing is much newer and much more bug free.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

In reply to your PM:
    What you should look at is Sockets in Java (and Streams for this). You need to use sockets to send and receive data. You will also need to develop a communcation protocol to be used.
    There will need to be a server to keep track of users and authentication.
    Since it's Java, not much consideration should have to be taken to the platform.

Stuff you need to know about (at least):
    - Basic networking, how it works
    - Socket communication
    - Server-client systems
    - Multi-user system
    - Databases (for the server)

Remember that the server doesn't have to be platform independant, or even written in Java. You could also make platform specific clients while still having a platform independant chat system (like ICQ).