how to develop a chat application/system?

@

@n!e

I'm trying to develop a chat system which will be implemented into computers with cross platform (windows & linux). It's mainly like other existing chat sys( such as icq & msn messenger), which is able to share/message/chat information.

If i want to do such cross-platform chat system (compatible with windows and linux), what language that u guys recommend? i'm thinking of using java. and what things i need to know b4 doing this kind of system?:blink: ;)

Java sound like a good idea. When you make the GUI, make sure you use Swing instead of AWT. Swing is much newer and much more bug free.

In reply to your PM:
But may i know what are the ares of networking should i concentrate on, if i'm developing a system like icq? Besides, what else should i understand in order to come out with a cross platform kind of chat system?
My scope of crossplatform is within windows n linux. What do i need to know from this both platform? But at the moment i've downloaded existing chat application(eg. icq, licq). Thanks in advance.

What you should look at is Sockets in Java (and Streams for this). You need to use sockets to send and receive data. You will also need to develop a communcation protocol to be used.
There will need to be a server to keep track of users and authentication.
Since it's Java, not much consideration should have to be taken to the platform.

Stuff you need to know about (at least):
- Basic networking, how it works
- Socket communication
- Server-client systems
- Multi-user system
- Databases (for the server)

Remember that the server doesn't have to be platform independant, or even written in Java. You could also make platform specific clients while still having a platform independant chat system (like ICQ).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back