How much Ram is actually enough?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by apu95, May 20, 2002.

1. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

Montreal, Canada
    i wanna get myself a huge pc upgrade (im talkin mobo, cpu, ram). anyways, i wanna know how much ram is enough for winxp pro. i wanna be able to play games really smoothly (using an apropriate video card of course), and most of todays games require 64+ of ram.

thanks, apu
  2. dijital

dijital Guest

well i'm sitting pretty with 512. it all depends on what you want to do. 256 is fine for the normal operation along with games. if you do any type of media encoding, photo editing, video editing, etc., the more ram you have the better the performance.
  3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
    Minimum 256 to really have it work the way you want it. More if you can.
  4. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

West Lafayette, IN, USA
    256MB is a usuable minimum for Windows XP. 512MB will increase performace even more. I would NOT recomend less then 256MB when running Windows XP

5. Nismo83

Nismo83 OSNN AZN Addict

I am running XP Pro with 256 RDRAM.. running pretty cool.. With some tweaks on the OS, it seems like flying though not so when compare with 512 MB...Preferably, try to get more than 256 MB...
  6. l0g0ut

l0g0ut OSNN Addict

i'm running xp home with 128MB RAM... definitely not enough.... waiting for another 256MB stickin the mail....
  7. da rock

da rock Guest

i'm using 512 mb of crucial ddr 2100 and luv it!
  8. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
    Using 256 DDR. Works good. However, I will be upgrading to 512 as soon as I am able.
  9. boxman

boxman Guest

The more the better, check my stats, only SDRAM though :eek:
  10. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

XP after 512mb starts to utilize ram less efficiently (well there is just no need for it to actually)

I find 512 is more the adequate for every game and such. the only reason I have a gig of ram is for database and graphic work which can get memory intensive.
  11. sconn

sconn Guest

i have 384 MB DDRAM PC 2100 and i am running XP pro and its smooth no problems and most of the time i just use 60 % of the RAM and that is the MAX i can go even when i am playing games.
  12. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

New York
  13. djwhite

djwhite OSNN Senior Addict

512MB is definitely the way to go
  14. DoubleClick

DoubleClick Guest

Ram is fairly cheap now, heck I can get 266 DDR cheaper than 133 sdram :). Anyways go for the 512 since your doing a full upgrade.
  15. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Go for as much as you can afford at the prices keep falling.. you can always add more later and it will probably be cheaper.

As for how much RAM you should have, on an XP system I'd say 512minimum.
  16. Gouk

Gouk Guest

I got 512Mb of SDRAM here but in my new PC I am planning on 512Mb DDR PC2100 RAM
  17. Jz1397

Jz1397 Guest

Anything with 512 or over is alot faster in xp