How Do You Setup File Compression?

• Thread starter NotBold_Fortune
  • Start date
N

NotBold_Fortune

How do you set up File Compression so that you have the choice of compressing files after so many days in the Disk Cleanup Utility?

I don't think I mean when you right-click on your drive's icon and select "Compress drive to save disk space". When I do that it compresses all the files on my drive at one time.

I've got to be missing a something here. Thanks.

I am not sure whether you are taking about this: If you have started Disk Cleanup Utility and checked a drive, a window pops up with suggestions what to clear. If you highlight 'Compress old files' there appears an options tab, where you when clicked can modify after how many days filed are considered old. Don't know whether there is another place to modify it.

Thanks yo-yo. I know about that. I even tried setting it to one day and restarted to see if any files to compress would show up. No show.

If I recall right, XP sets this up by default, and you have to turn it off if you don't want to use it. I'll bet it's something in Folder Options, but I can't figure out which setting in there it would be.

Or maybe something to do with Indexing, but I tried enabling that in Services and in the Properties of my drive, and that didn't work for me.

Maybe if someone remembers how to turn File Compression off, I can get to it and turn it on there, too. (Again, I don't mean turning of compression through Drive Properties when you right-click on your drive's icon.)

I just tried it, to make sure I did remember it right. It was set to 50 days and the application suggested about 3.5GB of files to compress on my D-drive. Which service or whatever lets Windows know which files were when accessed? Probably this one must be enabled for this option. Don't have any other idea at the moment.

edit: just found the registry key, propably you'll know it already, handling these settings: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files

I'm sorry yo-yo, this was a total false alarm on my part. I set the number of days to 0, restarted, and some files to compressed showed.

This is a relatively new installation (4 days old). Usually doesn't take this long for some files show up to compress.

Thanks for your attempts at helping me.

Kicks dealer on the way out for not. LOL. Hi dealer. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back