How do you build?

How do you build a new rig?

• I take all I can from my existing, build into it's case even.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Take many parts from old, sell the rest or keep as spare.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Just keep one or two best parts, leaving old rig as "barebone" system.

• Like to build new rig entire - how else to grow my network?

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
When you build a new rig do you take everything box fresh and keep your existing one? Or is an upgrade just that, you take all the parts you like from your old rig and leave it as a hulk? Or maybe something in between those two?

when I upgrade my machine I keep the bits I want to and upgrade the others. Or if I am putting together a new one and I have another lying around gathering dust then I cannabalise parts from that one if I want them.

Well, it usually depends on certain aspects of the 'old' system. If it's ancient like a 486... You'd have to pay people to buy it from you. :p

I, personally, would rip out anything that would still be useful (must be efficient) and throw it in the new rig. Usually only the odd CDRW/DVDRW, floppy, GFX card, HD and possibly the PSU
Obviously, if I have skipped a few generations of products, I'd just build one from scratch and give the old system to a family member. :)

Like Ming said, it depends on the components of the old system as well as compatability. My next major upgrade will be a whole new system as none of the current components will be of support to the new setup. I will keep the old box as a test box, or as a server box. That is what I would like to do, but a AMD64 /w SATA Raid setup is a little out of my budget right now.

exactly...there are tons of things that go into it for me.
1. if anything in the old is useful in the new
2. if my budget permits me to get all new stuff
3. if my people around me need anything out of my old one and are willing to spend money

there are lots of others but those are the main things I think of when I build a new system

Well, let's see. I plan on doing an upgrade to an AMD64 bit system soon. My current system is as such:
AMD Athlon XP Mobile 2600 OCed to 2.4ghrz 400FSB
1GB Samsung PC3200 ram
SB Audigy 2 Plat
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AIW
Seagate 120GB SATA drive
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 board.
Thermaltake 480w Silent Purepower PSU
Zalman 7000AlCu Heatsink fan
BenQ DW1620 DVD+/-RW Drive
NEC 16x DVD drive
Antec Aluminum Case with window (full tower)

Out of that I plan on keeping:
1GB of ram
Thermaltake 480w PSU
Seagate SATA drive
SB Audigy 2 Plat.
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AIW
The BenQ DVDRW Drive
The NEC drive
And the case.

The motherboard CPU and heatsink and fan will all get sold off. As I plan on upgrading my 2ndary rig as well to a P4 system (3.4ghrz HT)

I usally just use what i can for awhile and upgrade lil by lil later on. Like I would get a new processor,motherboard, and most likely ram. I already have a good enough computer. Only thing i need to have it perfect is a new and bigger hard drive. 2 20gb hard drives aren't cutting it.

well, since i am poor and cheap, i strip the old and add the new. i've had the same case for almost 2yrs and the case before this one i had for 5. i don't run anything over clocked so there is no need for 11 fans and a water cooled system.

usually, before i build a new pc, i max out the performace of the machine that i currently use. then i leave it that way, and build an entirely new pc to the best it can be one part at a time.

I don't use a desktop anymore, although there is one at home that my parents use. When I upgraded it, I kept any parts that were relatively new and exchanged/sold the rest. It still has a floppy drive from my old 486 machine, a CD-ROM drive from my Pentium-II (along with a new CD-RW drive, of course) and some other ridiculously old parts that still work beautifully well. :)

Buy new, and keep the old :p.

My server was new, but my desktop is old. I bought the new mobo and CPU off a friend in texas for $20, and put them in the same case, sold the old mobo and CPU for $80. Good deal really, as the mobo was a piece of ****, and the CPU had been run way to hot cause of it, so i was really surprised it had not broken yet :p

I wait till something in an old PC here dies, then I buy a new part, put it in my desktop and put the old one from my desktop into the old PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back