How do I restore all of the recycle bin in msdos?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Quartersndimes, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Quartersndimes

Quartersndimes Complete Genius. . .

Hi, all. Kinda havent been on in awhile. I acquired this old, Compaq Armada 4120 laptop. It has windows 95. It was full of crap, so i started cleaning it out of useless files. Unlike the newer windows, this one does not hide "hidden" files. I accidentally deleted more than one vital file off the drive, and i would like to know how to restore all of the recycle bin. This has a catch: i can't go past MS-DOS. I can type in

C:\RECYCLED

and it will come up with the folder. The only thing is that I cannot restore all these files at once. I know where they all came from, so i can restore them one by one. But this takes time. I was wondering if there was a way for me to restore them all. Oh, and they all came from the same location: C:\. Yep. Just the root directory. All I need is the command. Help would be great.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Code:
    copy C:\RECYCLED\*.* C:\
    should copy all the contents to the root of C:

3. Quartersndimes

Thanx, man.

4. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

you can also try xcopy instead of the copy command, or move instead of copy

5. Quartersndimes

um, ya. It doesnt rename the files back to their original names. My OS still wont boot. What now?

6. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

reinstall ?

7. Quartersndimes

TY, but I dont have the install CD. Plus, the cd drive is external only.

8. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

I think you miss the bootfiles or they are in the wrong position (?) on the drive. I believe there is a doscommand something like mksys.com that reinstalls the bootfiles without formatting the drive first. Not sure though, I haven't used DOS in ages...

you can download mksys.zip here: http://www.emmet-gray.com/Programs/MKSYS.zip

Make a system (bootable) disk

Mksys is designed to operate similarly to the SYS.COM command from DOS. However, unlike the DOS counterpart, this version will allow you to choose the operating system to place on the diskette.