how do i cripple win2k (mess around proof)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by VenomXt, Mar 15, 2005.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

ok essentialy i want to cripple two win 2k machines. I want them to be able use word and excel and nothing else. (other than services need for windows to function properly) I want to disable IE and basically make it no mess around proof.. Any ideas

I think i can use the content adviser but im not sure how.

Thanks for all the help.. Rep will be awarded.

2. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

If you are creating the machine, anything, and I mean anything can be turned off using the local security settings of the box.... you can even make it to where they dont have permissions to log out after they log in its funny as ****... This is a bit difficult as you have to dig your way through each folder to find and disable every item, one at a time, but well worth it.

Here is a starter link from MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_sec_nmzo.asp

Hope this helps..

Hannibal

:D

VenomXt likes this.
  3. VenomXt

ok great good start i repped you up. You still willing to help on the other issue (is a night thing since im at work)

4. mlakrid

Absolutely use my email: same nick at yahoo.com for MSN messenger or PM me your MSN name and I will add you, its not listed on your profile or I would have tried to help you last night
    :laugh:

Thanks for Reps!

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

hmm... you'll be rewarded handsomely if you can publish a tutorial on each component of the policies...etc ;)
    Would be very helpful to those noobs (like me) *cough* who know nothing about admin functions.

6. mlakrid

LOL now what did I get myself into...
    It depends.. I can help but I need an idea of what it is you are trying to do.
    Anything you can do as a user on a PC can be shut off or deny acces to anyone you see fit! (Provided of course that you have admin rights on that machine)

Give me an idea of what you want to do and I will be glad to show you, Heh...
    :)

EDIT: I would like to STRESS here if you have a few ideas... that would be MUCH easier than doing a tutorial of all the objects there are literally thousands...

to give you an idea if you are home do a search for security policy and double click it... each object has sub-objects, of which some have even more depths of objects below them... hope this clarifies what I mean by thousands..

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Ha.. as I mentioned already... a tutorial. :p
    I don't have anything in mind at the moment, but will come back to haunt you when I do.

cheers
    ming ;)

8. mlakrid

Ok then I will create a tutorial for something we have done in the past... disabling the ability to use Internet explorer...

Hehe

9. VenomXt

im not seeing the diasble internet explorer.. any ideas hehe and btw the link above is for Xp im using 2k. But i just used the run command secpol.msc

10. VenomXt

im still having a problem locating the diasable feature. Anyone else feel like pointing me in the right direction.

11. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

See if you can use anything here or here.

12. Kush

Kush High On Life!

1st security advisor can do the job, they had done it to an internet cafe in leb, but the idiots forgot that the admin account is usually hidden, until u log in in safe mode, or just ctrl+alt+del the mofo and log in as administrator with no password, so make sure they cant do that

13. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

You could always just buy a typewriter :p

14. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

ooooh... the good ol' typewriters.. yippee!! lol :laugh:

15. VenomXt

hehehehehehehe

16. mlakrid

LOL.. ok these are some funny posts...

and Mafia you are right, but most people who arent XP savvy have no idea that you have to do the ctrl+alt+delete 2 times or you wont get it to come up...

This is also why you are supposed to change the name of the administrators account to something else... Hehe..

Venom I am in the process of moving from 1 apt to another, when I get the time I SWEAR I will post a how-to...

Please be patient, I have my lil truck and nothing else...
    and because Im moving out of my old place and into a new one with my G/F, and there is a 1 week limbo, I got to move all my **** into storage first then into the new appt.... SUX AZZ

17. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

You could change the NTFS permissions on the IE executable so only the users you want can run it. Also if you make the users limited users, they can't really do much.