How do I code Link Descriptions popups like on NTFS?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Shade2074, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Shade2074

Shade2074 OSNN Addict

I'm working on a home page and I would like to have a pop up similar to what I see here on NTFS when ever I hover my mouse over a link, How do I do that for my own page? Can someone point me in the right direction or give me a bit of code to work with?

Thank you for any advice!

2. albybum

albybum Penguin Rancher

I am not sure if this works in any other browsers but IE but you can use the title attribute in the Anchor tag.

Example:
    <a href="http://www.ntfs.org/" title="Click here to go to NTFS.org"> NTFS</a>

Click here to go to NTFS.org
    will pop up when you hover over the link.
    It is similar to the alt attribute in the image tag.

3. Shade2074

Shade2074 OSNN Addict

most of the visitors of my site will be using IE so that should work fine :) thank you!

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

the title tag works in Mozilla 1.4 as well so I wont b!tch about IE only tags and incompatible webpages :p

5. Shade2074

Shade2074 OSNN Addict

even better :p! I have mozilla installed on my computer, but I can't seem to get the javascript to work write with it. On IE i have the microsoft version installed becuase it seems to work better with the water effect i like to use one of my pages. With Mozilla, or with IE and Sun's version of Java installed the water effect flickers and doesn't work properly. If I could fix that one aspect - I'd give mozilla a better chance...

6. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Well, duh the water effect is coded to work with MS's java interpreter, which in the next service pack will be removed, and sun's java machine gets installed, but its not Mozilla's fault, rather MS for every trying to steal java.

7. Shade2074

Shade2074 OSNN Addict

Is there one that will work with Sun's? I know it wasn't mozilla's fault :) I just couldn't find one that worked with the regular Sun's java. (Or maybe I just didn't try hard enough - I'll try again.):eek:

8. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

you might have to keep looking, maybe HotScripts will have it

9. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

No i dont know where to get it.

Anyways, if you expect a lot of visitors with Sun's java installed, then just drop it all together.

10. Shade2074

Shade2074 OSNN Addict

Ya I dropped it all together I like that hotscripts site I had been there before, they have a lot of good stuff there. I took out the java though until i can find something a little better.