How Can I Change Default Screensaver

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DogWings, Feb 26, 2002.

1. DogWings

DogWings Guest

I would like to get rid of that default screensaver that XP uses when you are not logged in to a user account. Is there any way to do this?

The screensaver I am talking about is the one with the xp logo on the black background. I would like to use a different screensaver in place of it.

I tried deleting the default .scr file and replacing it with another screensaver with the same file name, but that didn't work. I suspect there is a registry hack, but don't really know where I'd begin with that.

Thanks!:D

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

3. DogWings

DogWings Guest

I tried the things I read in that thread, but no use.

After messing with it for a while, I decided to bite the bullet and see if I could find it in the registry. Changed an entry there and it seems to be working.

Thanks anyway!

4. busto

busto Guest

To Dog...What did you change in the registry to change the screen saver

5. DogWings

DogWings Guest

My Computer > HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Control Panel > Desktop > SCRNSAVE.EXE

You can't really configure the screensaver that I know of, but at least I was able to change it.

6. Bishop

Bishop Guest

How do you go about doing that for us newbies? Where do you put the screen saver that you want to use and should it be the same name as the one that is listed in the registry?

TIA :D