Hot Modem

Smokie

A Proud Australian
Has anyone heard this before. I am using cable internet and over the last few days things have slowed down a bit.

I phoned the isp and here is what the techo told me. After checking my line, he said that my modem had been on for two days straight and that I should switch it off to cool it down and this should be done every few days.

Never heard that one before...

Lol...Smokie

That's a good one...Damn Tech support, you just never know what they will tell you. When I called they told me to unplug the power and let it sit for 5 minutes and then turn it back on.

They called it Power Cycling;)

I didn't notice a difference...maybe they just want our brains to believe there's a difference.

::::Tap your head and rub your belly, I promise it will go faster::::
;)

lol that was diplomatic answer from th tech support!
what the tech support meant is GET LOST lol.

My cable modem has not been off for months (always powered on),they were just fobbing you off:rolleyes: but this may be an option for you :p just have a look >Cool Modem

Cable modems don't overheat. Mine been running for months now, without it being turned off.

Although that modded modem, I would buy one of those :)

ok so cable modems don't over heat, it will get hot. but it will not over heat. mine has been on 24/7 for the last year and a half and its fine. all unplugging and plugging in your cable modem does is reboot the modem. if your connection is slowing down then its either a busy net nite or somebody in your subnet/node is hogging the bandwidth. there is really nothing you can do to change your connection speed other than a few registry tweaks. its all controlled by the isp!

there are some tweaks here http://www.dslreports.com/

hope this helps
oDin.

oDin, it's just a Mickey Mouse system they have here. I have used all the tweaks but they can't work if the ISP is useless.

And if a techo gives an answer like he told me, doesn't make one feel to confident does it?

Trouble is there is nothing better to go to. The DSL here is woeful as well.

Smokie the tweaks do help, not much but they do help. might give ya an extra 5kbit\sec :D :D

what kinda transfer rates do you get???

lmao..... "look out guys the modem is about to BLOW"

.............."take cover NOW"

i've tried all the tweaks and haven't noticed a bit of difference in my speeds ...still max out at 512k/s upload(capped by ISP) and 4.6mbit download max

Originally posted by Burpster
lmao..... "look out guys the modem is about to BLOW"

.............."take cover NOW"

i've tried all the tweaks and haven't noticed a bit of difference in my speeds ...still max out at 512k/s upload(capped by ISP) and 4.6mbit download max

*dives behind monitor"

dam...4.6mbit/sec...can't complain about that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back