Hosting Game Server

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Ci2e, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Ci2e

Ci2e XPert

I have a DSL connection and I was wondering how many ppl my connection would be able to support. Just recently my DSL has been upgraded from 1.5/768 to 3/1.5 and I get roughly 2400/800 on the tests at DSLReports.

For such games as America's Army, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament 2004 how many ppl would a server I host be able to support without any horrible lag.

2. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

it's going to be a case of trial and error i expect :(

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

8-16 based on BF1942

4. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

about the same with counter-strike, maybe more (latency starts spiking around 20... my connection is about the same as yours, SIRE)

for something like CoD, it isnt too bad... I haven't hosted a large enough game to find out, but Id expect it to perform something like BF1942

But as Henyman said (always trust the cows :) ), its basically going to boil down to you testing - you could have the worlds most massive bandwidth, but if the latency was still slow (test that using Dr.Ping from dlsreports.com, too) you are going to have lukewarm results

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

set one up for UT2k4 or ET or sometihng and find out..

I suspect perhaps around 8 or so for ut2k4 which is brilliant for a DM or a BR or even ONS..

6. Ci2e

Ci2e XPert

Thanks for your opinions I'll give it a try when I get the time.

BTW if anyone out there plays Warcraft 3 and makes maps. I was wondering if you could explain how to disable heroes and upkeep to give it a Warcraft 2 feel.

7. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

And you can have us test your UT2004 server for you! Free of charge! hehehe.