Homepage Hijack

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kcnychief, May 13, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I had another computer come to me today, not related to the one I posted about that can't stay clean. I got everything off it, except for one small glitch.

The homepage always goes to this:

[​IMG]

Within IE, it is set to about:blank. When IE Opens, it references downloading from about:blank.

Here is a HJT log:

I have narrowed down, and bolded the offending occurence. Thing is, though, that whenever I remove it, which requires a visit to safe mode, another one spawns. This leads me to believe there is an offending file somewhere else just shooting out decoys. I am running AVG on this machine, with Windows Defender. Both have scanned and found nothing. That particular file, hp7ce0.tmp, turns up nothing on Google. The first file name I noticed within this behavior, was hp9bc3.tmp, which points to Spy Falcon. I went through all removal processes of that, but still can't cure it.

Anyone have suggestions?

EDIT: Seems to be linked to Spy Quake - but all the uninstall paths/files/reg entries are already gone.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

3. kcnychief

Unfortunately that did not do the trick. I tried both the short and long directions.

I have a few more leads though, may be able to get it. All I need to find is the source *grumble*

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

the hp***.tmp is a SMITFRAUD hijack.

Go into safemode and remove

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcfg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp7CE0.tmp

Reboot and post a new log.

The SMITFRAUD might have morphed, lemme check another site for updated directions.

5. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I would also advise updating to the latest Java to Version 5.0 Update 6 :)

6. kcnychief

The hp****.tmp files are different each time, but I will try deleting the dcomcfg.exe file. I won't have a chance to try it again for a few hours, real work is getting in the way :D

7. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Now you are starting to act like me. Whoreing out your skills on the side.

8. kcnychief

My Momma always says, whoering is as whoering does :D

I have been doing it for awhile, but the last 6 months or so have REALLY picked up. Generally, mostly because it takes an ARSE load of time, if it's not something that can be cleaned to a satisfactory level within an hour or two I just re-install. This is mostly done to save me the headache, and ultimately save the client money. I haven't really been thorough with one in awhile, and while frustrating, this particular infection has my interest ;)