home networking problem

Update and new issue

The cable ended up being the right kind, but we replaced it because it turns out that it was faulty. We got a good connection between the router and PC, including a good IP, gateway, etc.

Unfortunately there is still a problem. Internet Explorer hangs on "Website Found. Waiting for Reply..." regardless of what site we visit, and the site never loads. I can ping any site 100% from the command prompt, so I figured it was a DNS issue. If I take a site's IP and put it in the IE address bar, the same problem still occurs. I tried tons of things, including:
- checking IE's proxy settings
- manually setting the IP, gateway, and DNS settings for the network connection
- going through the router's admin pages and checking the settings... the router recognizes the assigned IP and name of the PC
- rebooting the PC and disabling/re-enabling the network connection
- trying just about every TCP/IP setting I could think of
Anyhow, I've still had no luck. I set everything back to default and am waiting for some new ideas to pop in my head, or come from you guys. From what I recall, these are the current settings:
IP - 192.168.0.3
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (router)
DHCP - 192.168.0.1
DNS - 192.168.0.1

Thanks for the help guys. This is ridiculous and I've never had so much trouble setting up a simple network. :rolleyes:

Have you tried another browser (Mozilla/Firefox/Opera) to see if it's not an isolated IE prob.?

Ah yes, the one thing I probably left out...

My buddy's laptop is a Mac and is good on the wireless side. I downloaded the executable for Firefox 0.8 and put it on a USB key to transfer to the PC (since the PC has no internet). After several attempts, I kept being told that the file was corrupt... so I couldn't install Firefox. I even found a zipped version of Firebird 0.7 to try, but it was corrupt too! There shouldn't be a problem with downloading a Windows file to a Mac and then transferring it, should there?

Anyhow, I never did get to try another browser. I'm going to get a copy of Firefox from home and take it over on Sunday. I just can't win, can I? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back