HijackThis Log

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Jewelzz, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

My daughter (who's is AZ and I'm in TX) is complaining her CPU usage is through the roof. She's run NAV which found nothing, below is her HJT log. Does anyone see anything out of the ordinary? Any suggestions on what she can look at to see what might be causing her CPU to go wacko?

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Everything looks fine there, the high CPU usage can be Norton's Live Update.

3. Jewelzz

Thanks J

Ok, got a little more info from her. She said when she opens Mozilla (I think she means FF) her CPU shoot up to 100%, any ideas what could be causing that?

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

It should hit 100% while the program is loading and opening pages, mine does. Then it should settle back near 0 unless there is an option in Mozilla or software installed (net speed up) that will start to open and preload every link on the page. This is what the dial up's advertise as an "internet accelerater". It uses idle time while you are readin one page to pre-open others.

With task manager open it will show exactly which processes are using the cpu cycles. Is it just moz/ff or is it norton also, or more?

PS the didn't see anything in the highjack log except for the multitude of norton app's that could be doing anything. Like virus and spyware scanning the web pages and pictures.

5. Jewelzz

I'll have her check LeeJend, thanks for replying :)

6. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Can also be bad extensions. I like to keep my extensions to a minimum, and I think thats why I never had problems with high memory usage and firefox.

7. Jewelzz

It's not extensions. It took a lot of pestering on my part just to get her away from IE and using FF. She downloads nothing unless I tell her it's ok (and to think she's 21) except her iTunes. That's why I find it so odd. Even odder (is that a word?) she was away for 2 weeks, when she turned her PC on after getting home, is when this started to happen.

I'll talk to her over the weekend and see if it's still happening.