hide administrator logon?

F

Flow

I'm afraid to ask, because I know the answer is somewhere around here. I know this because I found the answer with the search function about two weeks ago. But for some reason the same search just doen't give a match...

Anyways, how can I remove the administrator logon from the welcome screen. Without deleting the administrator account that is...<g>

Thanks!

Yes, that's true. Thanks.
Only, for some dark reason it did'nt work for me :eek:

I remember reading something in this forum about adding a new Dword in the registry. Hke_local_machine >> software >> microsoft >> windows NT >> currentversion ...... but I don't remember how it ended or what the dword value should be.

Thanks anyway :)

Just disable the account through computer management.

Is this what you mean?

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.

Add the username you wish to hide as a DWORD value. Set the value to 0 (zero).

I have the answer!

Hide/Unhide User Accounts that are displayed on the initial Welcome Logon screen~this is for when you are using the 'Use Welcome Screen' option to log on and off that displays all the user accounts.
~Special Note: If using the Tweak UI for XP (Power Toys) Then you must hide the accounts you want hidden from there. It seems that going into the registry and adding the DWORD below had no affect when the Tweak UI was installed and being used. I did both to make double sure..:>)!

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList
Add a DWORD with the name of the user account you want to hide
Make sure it has a value of 0 and to unhide it give it a value of 1

Using the XTeq Tweak Manager to hide only the Administrator Account

Open Xteq Tweak Manager and Go to: Startup/shutdown, startup, Windows NT/2k/XP, Inside Login Window, welcome Window ADMINISTRATOR VISIBLE.

~This is only to hide the administrator account. Use the above methods described to hide other accounts.

Shortcut to Switch Users Fast~
To create a shortcut that will automatically switch users:

go to desktop, right mouse click, and click on 'new shortcut' give it a value of: %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll LockWorkStation

AND/OR

Shortcut to Logoff your user~
To create a shortcut that will automatically log you off, close all your open apps and take you back to the 'Welcome Logon Screen':

go to desktop, right mouse click, click on 'new shortcut' and type in the box: logoff.exe

After making these shortcuts you can drag them onto your Quick Launch Toolbar for the fastest access to it...:D...can you say 'paranoia'..:eek:...what was that noise!!!...click...poof...safe...lol

Note: I dont know if this works on other OS other than Windows XP!

How to Logon the Hidden User Account

On the Welcome Logon Screen press Ctrl alt del two times and an alternate logon screen will appear where you can type in your 'hidden' user account name and password.

Note: A glitch I noticed when using the 'Fast Switch User' method described in the previous post: After switching users either the fast shortcut way or the normal 'click start, log off, switch user method...back on the welcome screen the Ctrl alt del does not seem to work to bring up the alternate logon screen. Restarting the puter will fix this. This does not happen when I log off my hidden user account (not switch user...LOG OFF) Pressing Ctrl alt del 2 times on the welcome screen to bring up the alternate logon screen will still work.

Of course, this might only be a glitch with my system with all the reg tweaking I've done, but in anycase if I find a solution to that I will update here.

Other Notes: Once an account is hidden it will no longer appear in the User Accounts Screen (Start/Control Panel/User Accounts) Unless you are logged in as that user, then it shows.
Hidden accounts do show in the Computer Management screen. Computer Management can be accessed a few ways: Right mouse clicking on the 'My Computer' icon and clicking 'manage' or going to your administrative tools and selecting Computer Management. To conceal my hidden accounts there I right mouse clicked on my user accounts and renamed them to something like 'Sony Tech Assist' or 'Microsoft Trouble Shooter' and typed in a bogus discription. Most people do not suspect anything or dare futz with items that look 'important'. What ever you renamed your hidden account to you can still use whatever name you originaly had to logon or you can use the bogus name you changed it to in computer management just as long as you dont change the name in the 'full name' section when you doubled click on the user account. You have to right mouse click and choose rename. Another place you're account is revealed is in C:\Documents and Settings where all the folders are listed for the accounts. Even though no one even other administrators will be able to open the folders, they will be clued in that there are other accounts if they are puter savy. When I figure out a way to hide them there as well I will update this message.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back