Help with sharing folders

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Kiznilian, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Kiznilian

Kiznilian Guest

Im in college and i am on the network with a shared folder. how do i put a password on it(this is xp im lost) so i can only have my friends be able to dl stuff. i just can't find it anywhere. i right click on the folder, then shared tab but like the option to make it private is not able to be checked.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You have to set the correct permissions in the security tab. If there is no security tab you must first turn off Simple File Sharing. This is done in the Folder Setting (I think that's right, translated).

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

are you using the FAT32 file system?

4. Kiznilian

Kiznilian Guest

No im in ntfs, and i tried what you said and i don't see any security tab

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Even if you disable Simple File Sharing? Are you logged in as an administrator?

6. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Thought I would revive an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I am having a problem with my shared network folders. I have 5 folders that I created for sharing files between my 2 computers, and they are the "my network places". Both computers can see each other and the folders as well as the files in the folders. But if I put a file in a folder I cannot goto the other PC, copy that file and paste it into a different folder on that machine. It keeps giving me "Access denied". So I though it was a sharing problem like I failed to select the option to allow changes to the folders and content by anyone. So I go to "My network places" select the folder that has the file and right click, but there is not sharing and security tab anymore! :confused: The sharing option is not listed for ANY folder! WTH!! I have reasearched this problem everywhere I can find info and to no avail. Please help!

7. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Need help please

Thought I would revive an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I am having a problem with my shared network folders. I have 5 folders that I created for sharing files between my 2 computers, and they are the "my network places". Both computers can see each other and the folders as well as the files in the folders. But if I put a file in a folder I cannot goto the other PC, copy that file and paste it into a different folder on that machine. It keeps giving me "Access denied". So I though it was a sharing problem like I failed to select the option to allow changes to the folders and content by anyone. So I go to "My network places" select the folder that has the file and right click, but there is not sharing and security tab anymore! :confused: The sharing option is not listed for ANY folder! WTH!! I have reasearched this problem everywhere I can find info and to no avail. Please help!