Help with a key...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Artex, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Artex

Artex Guest

I currently have OfficeXP Standard installed on my computer. Its registered activated 100% legal. My problem is that I've lost my jewel case, and thus my product key. I desperately need to reformat, but I must get my key first. Can someone please tell me how to extract my product key from my install.

Thanks in advance,
  2. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

You will probably have to call Microsoft and explain your story, I do not think it would be legal any other way....
  3. Artex

Artex Guest

I need a way to see my key on Win98, for OfficeXP. Not see a key for winxp.

I really need some help.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

New York City
    I don't think there is a similar program for Office XP. You'll probably have to call MS and explain.
  5. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Ooops silly me....will just check for office
  6. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

open word if you get a chance print screen and that is your key:)
  7. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

This is what I mean
  8. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Sorry mate about the mix up (cannot read it seems).....your product key is shown if you open up word/excel or any office app and look under "about microsoft ******" on your help tab you will see your product key look at my attachment

Update....Am i correct in thinking cd install key and product key are different as mine are !!
  9. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Yeah I think the CD is on that screen that flashes by for about 1/10th of a second when you first open word.
  10. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

rettahc that screen pops up super quick took me ages to get a proper screen grab of it...yes many goes....all it shows is the product key as well not the cd key you use to install office.
  11. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Okay then try this, I did a search on my C: drive for my office XP key and I found it in this file:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name here)\Local Settings\Temp\Office XP Professional Setup(0001)_Task(0001).txt

search for this line and your key would be where the x's are

(EDIT) the above is all one line.
  12. pacou

pacou Guest

it's no good, take your invoice and go to the office!!!!!
  13. fish007

fish007 Guest

Here a great little utility that may help if this wasn't resolved yet. It profiles your machine and pulls "most" sn's.

It a pretty small utility and I've run it on 5 different boxes wiht no problem.
  14. allan

allan Guest

The key you have to enter during installtion to authenticate and the Product Key you see after installtion are not the same. You need to call MS. They will give you a new key on the phone.
  15. rettahc

rettahc Guest