help please with php

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by seperatist, Apr 7, 2006.

1. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

hi,

my friend asked me to change 2 links and 2 images on her site

http://www.jaylynnpromo.com/office.php

and as you can see, the images i uploaded are broken. i changed the html (or php) in text (new to this php stuff) and uploaded the correct images but they are still broken. what am i missing or what else can i explain so i can get some help?

thanks

2. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

that's a great looking site!
    From the looks of it, the files have been uploaded to the /iprod/ folder???

3. seperatist

yeah, the images are in iprod which makes it very odd to me. when i view image of the 2 new pics i just get this...

http://www.jaylynnpromo.com/iprod/LL04W_Magnet.jpg

but when i view a older image i get the actual pic not the browser telling me the url for the image.

4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

looks to be where your problem lies - like jimi says make sure the images are FTP's up there..... and with no errors, because when I try that from my browser to check it I get:-

My guess is a screwy FTP - no php here that I could see!

seperatist likes this.
  5. seperatist

screwy ftp it was. thats why i hate html based uploaders. i just used filezilla and got the ftp address. thanks for the help.

6. seperatist

btw, this site rocks. the help is always good and usually quick. thanks again.

7. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

what exactly is PHP, I might already know but I get alot of things mixed up. Another language?

8. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

9. Mainframeguy

I sometimes wondered what it stands for (I know what it IS).... that link did not say so I thought I'd post that up here "PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. This confuses many people because the first word of the acronym is the acronym. This type of acronym is called a recursive acronym. The curious can visit Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing for more information on recursive acronyms."

and then I found the Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing is run by Imperial College and thought that was kinda cool (since they are in London and I know/knew a few people went through there) - though I am still no wiser as to how a recursive acronym makes it PHP instead of HP (or HPP) - but I do understand it is interpreted and preprocesses HTML which is a definite step up from the primitive level of HTML or XML and gives you programatical possibilities right there in the browser....

the advantage over anything like Java or Flash being that it will be native browser support.

All clear now I hope?

Anyway - this thread was about FTP as it happens and had nothing zero nada to do with php - I beleive that site was pure HTML (least I was not looking for the <?php tag, but nor did I see one anyways)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  10. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Mainframeguy likes this.
  11. Mainframeguy

doh - course not! What a derr brain - I knew that but it was not instinctive (yet) :dead: