Help me find a download utility.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Nathan Alexande, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Hi guys,

I am looking for a good download utility that will not fill my pc with ads and spyware. I used Download Accellerator Pro on my last PC, but it put all sorts of unwanted stuff on my PC. What do you guys suggest I use?

Thanks.

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Nothing at all... Download utilities are a joke. I guess if you happen to be on 56k then it's reasonable, but if you are on broadband then it's stupid.

3. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Fresh Download is free and from what I've heard (I've never used it myself) a pretty good program.

4. Sweens

Sweens Guest

5. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

I use FlashGet and am on broadband. Being on broadband does not guarentee that the download will time out. There have been several times that it has happened to me.

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I love GetRight and use it with broadband because it will download a huge file in segments. So instead of having a single 100kbps download, it can break the file into three segments at nearly 300kbps total. Plus it's nice to be able to queue stuff if the background and let the program automatically download everything for you.

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

What I use... but only for linux ISOs and other huge files :)

8. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

I'm a GetRight user myself... being on 56k... :mad:
    *kicks his 56k modem*

9. mofala

mofala Guest

i use flashget! it does all the same stuff as getright but has a better user interface! only problem its shareware! but it is more tweakable than getright and has more features!

10. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

T1 - T3 cable access is the best download accelerator.:)

11. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Came across DLExpert (freeware) a few days ago. Me likes it. :D It does have a false 'positive' when doing a spyware search. Don't worry it is clean. :)

12. Singleman593

Singleman593 Guest

i used gozilla ...works good.

13. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

I've been using Star Downloader. It's free and doesn't take up a lot of screen space (everything can go to system tray if you want it to). It also doesn't have any spyware or ads or anything. There's only 2 downsides I've seen to it so far. It doesn't always get downloads that go through a script, and I don't think it has a "leech everything from site" type feature (i.e. download all jpeg files from 1 webpage).
    Fresh Downloader is free, but last time I used it, it kept buggin me to register it (no biggie, but still). You might want to take all these suggestions and check out c-net's download.com for user reviews.

14. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

im using getright and i love it :)

15. djwhite

djwhite OSNN Senior Addict

I just use Opera's inbuilt download manager. Haven't had any problems with it.

16. alloy25

alloy25 Guest

I asked the same question a while ago and the "Smart as hell ppl" at NTFS.ORG suggested star downloader.....

I got it and I ust say that I used Getright and now I've been converted....Fantastic little program..(and free)...

Gr8 site ..Gr8 PPL .... Just Gr8

Alloy25

17. Cool. I think I'll download a few different ones, and see which on works best for me. Thanks, guys!

18. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

That is actually incorrect. In fact the so called "download accelerators" help less for 56k. They most benefit broadband connections the most.

The problem with downloading a file in something like Internet Explorer (or even a download manager that does not split files) is that you may establish a connection with a server as a speed slower than your broadband connection is capable of handling.
    The way these programs work is to split your download into several simultaneous connections. They then download different sections of the same file all at the same time. By establishing multiple connections at the same time, the total speed of the connections add up, and end up utilizing all of your bandwidth.

Instead of one connection to the server at 40kbps, you might have 5 connections for a grand total of 200kpbs, thus using up all your bandwidth (if that is the limit of your connection speed). This is an extreme example, however. I actually get a lot of connections that are near my broadband limit without using a "download accelerator."

19. jdn

jdn I'm trying

If you are concerned about spyware, Spy bot ver 1.2 has an active scanner that prevents spyware from being installed on your box.

20. Well, I have decided on Star Downloader. Very nice utility indeed! Thanks for the help.