help me choose hardware

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Taurus, May 7, 2008.

1. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

my buddy got his stimulus check and wants to finally upgrade his socket A system. we'll be reusing as much of his old stuff as possible (case, harddrive, dvd burner). his cap is $600 but i already picked out a good power supply which cuts it down to $500 left. and spending less is always better.

here are the other parts i was considering...

motherboard:
    ASUS M3N-HD HDMI (nvidia 750a) $175
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 (AMD 770) $95

processor:
    Athlon X2 4850e (2.5GHz, 45W) $90

memory:
    G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 $80

video card:
    ECS 9600GT 512MB $140

I've always been the go-to computer guy among my friends and built his current comp years ago. and i've always been an AMD + nvidia guy which still pretty much holds true. i say pretty much because i know current Intel offerings are generally a better option. but i don't really know much about them or the available chipsets.

his priority is gaming (battlefield 2, in particular) which is why i have the 750a board there with it's SLI for future-proofing. but the board/chipset is still very new. makes me nervous.

so what is a good Intel cpu/motherboard/memory combo for roughly $300?

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. PUTALE

PUTALE OSNN One Post Wonder

FOR INTEL SYSTEM

i would say go for the E7200 or E8200 processor.

3. Basekid

Basekid OSNN Junior Addict

The 750i is getting good reviews on the net, so I would pick that one. Memory and vid card look good.

The cpu won't fit (like Putale mentioned) so yeah a 8200 would be a good pick.

4. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

To get within the $300 range get the E4600 processor, Gigabite P35, and Corsaire 2ig xms 6400 ddr2 mem. All can easily be found in Newegg.