Help!!! Make it stop please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I updated windows xp home and I don't want to restart as of yet. I keep getting this window asking me to Restart or Restart Later it's driving me cucking frazy and the popup every 15 minutes or so is getting a bit annoying.

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

The system wouldn't want you to reboot unless it was absolutely necessary, but perhaps going to start...run... and stopping the automatic updates service will prevent the popups.

3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Your updates won't be applied until you restart so it was pointless to install the updates if you weren't ready to restart yet. Not really anything you can do about it besides restart.

4. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

save your work and restart. let Xp win..

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Actually, the Automatic Updates service stops itself when updates are applied. The AU service is only responsible for checking for new updates. It stops and doesn't check for new updates until you restart.

Just some useless knowledge.

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

heh just restart already or put up with the box popping up :p Shouldn't have updated if you didnt want to restart.

7. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

you shouldn't have viewed what was goign to be updated. When the baloon comes up saying that, ignore it till you are ready to view it .. Other than that, there is no way to stop it. You must restart. If you don't windows will do it on it's own ..

8. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I always end up minimizing the damn thing a million times before I restart. In the end it wins, and I restart.

9. Electronic Punk

It is annoying tho, I love updates but never want to reboot when it tells me to :)

10. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Technically couldn't you "move" the window and just keep it off the screen? Wouldn't this work instead of clicking "restart later". Or would it still pop up?

11. Electronic Punk

Not sure, been so long since I got an update, will see if there any after work :)

12. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

thats why i update once every few months :)

13. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Once every few months? Holy Gaping Security Hole Batman!:eek:

14. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

I'm not sure but I think that windows will automatically restart after so long if you don't click restart later. Anyhow it's better to just set the computer to automatically download the updates cuz then you can install them when you turn off your computer after they're downloaded (a little shield thing pops up next to where it says turn off in the shutdown menu for XP and there's some text that says something to the effect of "if you want to install the updates click on turn off, if you only want to turn off your computer then click here" (or that's how it is for me))

15. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

It restart automatically if you set it in the preferences. I forgot that I had it set to reboot in the middle of the night and I was downloading a huge huge file. I was so so so mad when I woke up and I thought someone had restarted my computer, then I just wanted to kick myself.