Help!!! Make it stop please!!!!!

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
I updated windows xp home and I don't want to restart as of yet. I keep getting this window asking me to Restart or Restart Later it's driving me cucking frazy and the popup every 15 minutes or so is getting a bit annoying.

The system wouldn't want you to reboot unless it was absolutely necessary, but perhaps going to start...run... and stopping the automatic updates service will prevent the popups.

Your updates won't be applied until you restart so it was pointless to install the updates if you weren't ready to restart yet. Not really anything you can do about it besides restart.

Actually, the Automatic Updates service stops itself when updates are applied. The AU service is only responsible for checking for new updates. It stops and doesn't check for new updates until you restart.

Just some useless knowledge.

heh just restart already or put up with the box popping up :p Shouldn't have updated if you didnt want to restart.

you shouldn't have viewed what was goign to be updated. When the baloon comes up saying that, ignore it till you are ready to view it .. Other than that, there is no way to stop it. You must restart. If you don't windows will do it on it's own ..

I always end up minimizing the damn thing a million times before I restart. In the end it wins, and I restart.

It is annoying tho, I love updates but never want to reboot when it tells me to :)

Technically couldn't you "move" the window and just keep it off the screen? Wouldn't this work instead of clicking "restart later". Or would it still pop up?

Not sure, been so long since I got an update, will see if there any after work :)

kcnychief said:
Technically couldn't you "move" the window and just keep it off the screen? Wouldn't this work instead of clicking "restart later". Or would it still pop up?

I'm not sure but I think that windows will automatically restart after so long if you don't click restart later. Anyhow it's better to just set the computer to automatically download the updates cuz then you can install them when you turn off your computer after they're downloaded (a little shield thing pops up next to where it says turn off in the shutdown menu for XP and there's some text that says something to the effect of "if you want to install the updates click on turn off, if you only want to turn off your computer then click here" (or that's how it is for me))

It restart automatically if you set it in the preferences. I forgot that I had it set to reboot in the middle of the night and I was downloading a huge huge file. I was so so so mad when I woke up and I thought someone had restarted my computer, then I just wanted to kick myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back