help! GTA 3 wont run at all!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by bighouse, Jun 23, 2002.

1. bighouse

bighouse Guest

I am running an AMD 1.4 with a GF2 MX 400...GTA 3 wont run...no error messages, nothing except the "R" (company symbol)

whadoIdo?

2. bighouse

bighouse Guest

OK...I did it and I get the same result...what next?

Thanks for helping...

3. bighouse

bighouse Guest

No, it shows the symbol...it disappears, and nothing else happens...NO lockup.

4. toxicity

toxicity Guest

make sure u have the right cd in the cdrom and get all necessary patches

5. bighouse

bighouse Guest

its definitely an XP problem...I installed it/booted up in 98 an it ran fine...

I dont know what else to do...I think I have all the XP patches/updates!

6. BOB050082

BOB050082 Guest

Goto your gta3 folder/movies, and delete the intro movies. start the game up again, just press spacebar 2 or 3 times, and it should work fine

7. bighouse

bighouse Guest

still doesnt work!

8. Fleeorg

Fleeorg Guest

9. natefrog

natefrog Guest

yep that should always be your first step to fixing a problem
    read the readme file

I had the same problem and after installing microsoft's patch it worked fine

10. bighouse

bighouse Guest

I tried that...it still doesnt work...all I get is the "R" symbol and then it acts like I never did a thing...no lockup.

couldnt it be a direct x 8.1 issue? When I ran dxdig there is an error/failure in Direct 3D...

11. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

i suggest that u go to gamecopyworld.com and find the GTA3 NO-CD #2 crack... :)

12. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

I suggest that u go to gamecopyworld.com and find the GTA3 NO-CD #2 crack.. I had problems loading saved games and I applied the patch and I could loaad up games.. You could try that.. but back up GTA3.EXE FIRST!

13. Ulf

Ulf Guest

E-Eyt!

I had the same problem myself after installing Xp, although not with GTA3 since i never played it on Pc, however with every game that requires directx 8 or above, i have a gainward geforce2 mx 64mb, which worked fine in win98, but not at all in Xp...

I also got the same problem when running dxdiag, the way to solve is to download directX panel, go to direct 3d and tick the "allow hardware acceleration" box, that should solve the problem, atleast it did for me, now everything runs fine so, hope that helped...

Seems to have something with geforce 2 mx and Xp to do, i know the Geforce 2 mx'es aren't fully Dx8 compatible, but really, stupid error... =/