Help choosing new vid card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Fenris, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Fenris

Fenris OSNN Senior Addict

Im searching for a good vid card to put in the computer i am going to build...i have priced everything but the vid card and case at the moment it is $1005 so i was looking for a vid card around $300.

Any ideas on which one i should choose?

Also any ideas on a $50 case? I cant decide what case to get yet

Here is the computer I am building if it makes a diffrence on which card to buy.

Lite On 52x32x52 Black Color CDRW Drive LTR-52327S - OEM $34

AMD ATHLON XP 2800 "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM $136

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE
    MODEL # WD1200JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY $104

GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra $87

GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra $87

ABIT NF7-S $112

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - RETAIL $129

Logitech Z-680 5.1 Metallic Silver Speaker 500Watt THX Certified
    with Dolby Digital - RETAIL $284

LITE-ON XJ-HD166S/XJ-HD165H 16X DVD ROM Drive $31.99

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

for around $300 you can either buy an all-in-wonder 9700pro OR you can try and get a 9800pro... :)

btw.. for the speakers consider the new 5300's from logitech.. they are about $100 cheaper than the ones you are getting and have well over 500 watts output :) a nice set...

btw... can you post the link to the site you got your memory from ?

I am considering some purchases and that looks quite nice :)

3. Fenris

Ok ill look in too one of those 2 cards....just noticed i forgot to get a powersupply lol those are kind of important.

All the prices are off of http://www.newegg.com they have some good sales right now it seems

4. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

just to comment on your hdd, i have the exact same one and i love it. havent found anything wrong with it yet.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ditto on the HD had mine for 2 weeks. Got it for $108-$50=$58 WD rebate (helluva sale). Saw it for $69 after rebate this weekend (compusa, best buy, circuit city or officemax can't remember which).

Best Buy has the lite on (not black) for $19.95 this week. Or there is a lite-on combo cdrw/dvd player for less than the $66 seperate ones. Lite-on is making great optical drives. good backup capability, quiet and inexpensive.

Go Antec or Enlight on the power supplies. If a power supply craps out it can take the entire PC with it. Spend the extra.

6. Fenris

alright thanks for the info ill start searching for which stores had the big rebates this week. only live a block from circuit city hope its them :)

7. Black-Syth

Black-Syth Comalies

Prepare for an online revelation my friend.

HERE LIES GOD!

www.pricewatch.com

Have fun! ;)

8. adamg

adamg Guest

One also to look into perhaps...a Nvidia FX5900 non-Ultra such as the Leadtek A350. Should give roughly the performance of an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

9. nycyankii

nycyankii Guest

There's a cheap 5900FX non ultra at newegg.com for only $195.00, free shipping, and it doesn't take up a PCI slot (not like the first PCI slot is used though)

10. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today