HEAT: Athlon XP vs. T-Bird

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Taurus, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i gotta older t-bird 1.4ghz with a 200mhz bus. does it put out the same heat as a 266mhz bus t-bird? i wouldn't think so cuz the die is doing the same amount of work. what about compared to an xp 1600+ (1.4ghz)... same? more? less?

2. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Hotter !

"i gotta older t-bird 1.4ghz with a 200mhz bus. does it put out the same heat as a 266mhz bus t-bird? i wouldn't think so cuz the die is doing the same amount of work. what about compared to an xp 1600+ (1.4ghz)... same? more? less"

Well i have not seen an 200fsb version....but the 1.4 266fsb is one hot baby i think the hottest of them all even the new 2gig+ones the xp version is cooler by a fair few degrees i had the 1.47 version and it was nice and cool.Over at tomshardware he has a chart of cpu/temp ratings which is worth checking out.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

geez, finally found it hidden in a review..

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q4/021001/images/image079.gif

well, i feel better... sorta. i was curious why my 1.4ghz tbird needed more fans and noise to keep cool than my friend's xp 1700+ at 1.47ghz. well, at least now i know i didn't do something wrong with my cooling setup.

thanks for the heads-up, tony.

4. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Anytime ...i got a good memory for useless crap.....well not all useless :--)