Having problems opening Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by CelicaMan94, Jun 18, 2005.

1. CelicaMan94

CelicaMan94 OSNN Junior Addict

I just had Charter cable installed in the house that I moved into. I never had problems with IE until this. I don't believe there's a lot of software involved with Charter, and there's nothing really obvious in the task manager that would make me think different.

What IE does now when I try to open it is automatically close itself. It flashes on the screen for a split second and then closes. This only happens on my account. IE works perfectly fine on my g/f's account, which is the one that was logged in when Charter was installed. Anyone have any ideas to why IE is being a pain in my ass?

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

try to register the dll's

Quit all programs that are running.
    windows key+r
    paste;

regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
    When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
    If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):
    Shdocvw.dll
    Msjava.dll
    Actxprxy.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Mshtml.dll
    Browseui.dll
    Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)
    If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
    Name: (Default)
    Value: IDispatch
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
    Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
    Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

3. CelicaMan94

I registered all the .dlls successfully, and had to change a couple of 1s to 0s in those registry values. IE still does the same thing. Any other things I could do?

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Perhaps try repairing IE. Just go to the uninstall applet like you would for any other app and pick IE, it will then give you an option to repair it. :)

Also it's odd that just changing to cable would mess up IE somehow. Do you have an up to date antivirus program running?

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

In my experience the application that the cable company gives you is not needed. Cable modems and DSL (with a router) are plug and play. You shouldn't need a third party application to get your Internet working. Most third party apps from Internet providers customize IE. I would try uninstalling the software and go from there.

System Restore is always an option.

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

The repair tool was a feature of Internet Explorer 5 and is not available with the version that XP comes with.

It seems to me this is perhaps a user account issue and not Internet Explorer since IE works fine on his girlfriends account.

If it was IE then it would be messed up for all accounts.

7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

1) Insert the Win XP CD

2)windows key+r, paste;

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

enter

that'll reinstall ie

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  8. CelicaMan94

I tried reinstalling from the CD like Perris said, but that didn't work either. It keeps asking for the SP2 CD, which I don't have. I have the original version of XP on CD. I was able to copy SOME of the files that it asked for, but others aren't found on the CD anywhere. Apparently there were some files added in SP2. I skipped what files I could and rebooted after it finished. After I logged back in it automatically updated to the SP2 version of IE, but it still does the same thing it was doing before.

9. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You can extract the i386 folder from the XP SP2 EXE. Use WinZip or WinRAR to do so.

Then when it asks for the SP2 CD point it to the directory on your HDD containing the i386 folder.

10. CelicaMan94

I got it reinstalled and that didn't work either. Just out of curiosity I logged into my g/f's account and compared our task managers to see if there was anything running on my account that wasn't running on her's. I didn't notice anything right away but then I saw one thing: WindowBlinds.

I logged back into my account, unloaded WindowBlinds, and low and behold IE now works fine. It's really ghey that something this simple could cause me so many problems. :dead: Thanks for all the help anyway!

11. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Well technically it's not so "simple". What Windowblinds is really doing is allowing you to mess with the Windows shell (GUI). :)

12. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

WindowsBlinds is really ghey. :)

13. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Windowblinds isn't worth the time or effort. I would dump it and not use it. All it is is an eye candy resource hog. Most of the people I know who use it, including myself, only use it for a day then uninstall it ..