Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bluerave, Jan 26, 2002.

1. bluerave

bluerave Guest

Im having problems with my computer starting up by itself. Ive gotten a new power cord, new power surger, and had it checked by a "professional" and no one knows why its doing this. Anyone have a clue?
  2. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

Birmingham, UK
    eh - starting up automatically ?

you sure u SHUT IT DOWN ? not just standby or something ?

Do u use a surge protector ?

is the time it takes to restart always the same... or does it differ ?

If you know how to mess with bios/cmos go through it look for an option to do with timing...
    if u don't then reset bios to default...

3. bluerave

bluerave Guest

yes, it is shut down all the way. It says windows is shutting down, and the power completely goes out. I unplugged it just to make sure, then plugged back in. It just starts up, I see my Compaq logo, then the little status bar, it takes the exact same amount of time to boot, then i get the user screen.

I didnt see anything about timing in the bios, but i set it to default, but the thing still starts up.

I do use a surge protector, and ive replaced it and tried using others, even different power cords and such. I have to either unplug it or turn it off from the back, but when I do that it always runs scandisk and says windows wasnt shut down properly.
  4. AndyP

AndyP OSNN Senior Addict

Ehh, do you use a modem? I know some of those can turn on the pc automatically (some wake on shit I believe:) ). A friend of mine have XP, and when someone was trying to dialing him, the modem turned on the PC! Crazy it is, but it's worth a check!
  5. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

Check your BIOS and make sure all the Wake-on options are disabled, if it still happens you may have a short in the power supply or on the motherboard.
  6. Highwind7777

Highwind7777 Guest

7. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Have you a restart after power loss option in your Bios