hardware change?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bluzeboy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

Exactly what constitutes a hardware change that would make window require a new OS copy?a new mobo or what.

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Motherboard is a big one for sure , but if it is same chipsets then you could get away with it ... but I would reinstall.

An easier way would be to ask you what are you planning on doing here ?

3. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

thanks kermit,no change just wondering.

4. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I went and upgraded my MoBo CPU and Memory and it made me re-activate Windows.

Read this, it explains the points and the 10 catagories of hardware involved in XP activation.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

LeeJend likes this.
  5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You have to make a certain number (3) of hardware changes, any installed hardware, within 90 days. Wait 120 days between upgrades and you can go through a lot of hardware before you get nailed with the dial up registration.

I had literally replaced everything in my system until I screwed up one XMAS. I changed the DVD in and out too many times trying to get the POS to work, that along with another upgrade I did triggered Windows.

Note Stripping out hardware and reinstalling it as part of trouble shooting can cause you to exceed the change count. So before starting trouble shooting save your final hardware key file.

WOW just read that link Gonaads. Best description and utilities I've ever seen on activation. REP points time.

Ooops. Almost screwed myself. Added a stick of RAM, changed the DVD at XMAS and for some reason it thinks my video card changed??? If I pull that stick of RAM out I'll be dialing MS again. Handy little utility XPinfo.

6. xtweaker

xtweaker Tweaking Monkey

7. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

thanks all again.

8. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

You don't need a new Operating system. You can change everything in your PC and then activate my example indeed, recently (less than 6 months ago) I ran a Pent 4 processor, with intel mobo, with a cd rom drive, 133 ram, a different DvD burner to the one I have now, a different HD, infact I won't write the rest as to be honest over 6 months I have changed everything to new items. I was asked to activate when I finally changed to my last piece of kit the NEC DvD writer I got and I did it by phone.