Harddrive problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Leaderz0rz, May 19, 2005.

1. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

Well one day i woke up, turned on my moniter and i saw a bluescreen..the usal memory dump screen so i reboot, and get ntloader could not start ctrl alt delete to restart. so i did like 10 times and no go, so i just formated the drive and reinstalled XP pro. well i got everything running and such, but one thing is bothering me. It seems every once and a while my computer will "Hang" like stuttering in pc games. Could this be becuase the hdd is failing? is there anything to check it? and if it is failing how would i go about making an image of the drive to copy to another drive so i don't have to reinstall everything?

2. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

ok the harddrive officaly died last night, so i bought a new one, but i'm an idiot and didn't think about taking out my other one when installing windows, now my secondary drive is the "C:" drive and my windows drive is "F" is there anyway to change this without screwing up all the directory paths?

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Partition Magic can change the drive letter and fix the drive links. It might get a little messy, Windows resists Boot drive changes.

Windows might be able to change the drive letters but you're paths are probably going to be wrong.

4. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

oh well i'll just keep it as "F" =p