Harddrive partitions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by David_L6, Jul 1, 2005.

1. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

Can someone explain what all this means please? I didn't do anything intentionally to get this harddrive set up like this. I don't know if this is the way it should be or not.

Volume Layout Type File System Status

Partition Basic FAT Healthy (EISA Configuration)

Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy (Unknown Partition)

(C: ) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System)

Capacity Free Space %Free Fault Tolerance Overhead

47MB 40MB 85% No 0%

2.75GB 490MB 17% No 0%

66.12GB 57.37GB 86% No 0%

The board keeps squishing all the above back together! I tried to space it out to make it more easily read and to look more like it does when looking at it on my computer, but I can't.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  2. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

this is might be a harddrive recovery mode. HP and Compaq, instead of sending Windows to you, give you the option of restoring the computer to manufacturers settings. If you bought this computer and it did not include an xp cd, chances are this is where your system restore file is.

3. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

4. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Dell also gives the option to use a system recovery. I believe this was the Windows key and f11. If you did this from the reinstall key then the FAT32 is the restore.

David_L6 likes this.
  5. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

Don't be surprised (I'm not), but ya lost me! I don't remember hitting the Windows key and F11. Pretty sure I didn't....

Am I wasting space on this harddrive the way it is new? (Looks to me like I am.) Is there any way to find out what is on each partition?

6. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

Sure I do. I have done exactly as you told me to. I left the 40gig HDD unplugged. Actually, other than downloading some virus protection and benchmark programs I haven't changed a thing since the last time I talked to you.

I've had fun playing with the benchmark programs on the 8400, but that's all I've done so far. I'd like to install some flight sims, but I want to be sure that everything is just right (not just usable) before I do.

7. dubstar

dubstar format c:

well, if you dont want it, format it. if you're saying you bought it new like this, just format it and you're problem is over.