Hard drive upgrade

W

Welsh

Hello all
I've just swapped my 20gb hd for a 40gb one and it seems to be working fine,but i was woundering if i could put the 20gb drive back in as well so i'd have 60 gb altoghether. Would there be any problems?

Thanks.

Nope, no problems. As long as you've got an empty connector on your IDE cable. Stick the 20GB drive back in as a slave drive.

... oops. I'm not supposed to say "slave" anymore, am I?

;)

Shouldn't be any problem. Your case should have an open bay to mount it in, however some cases do not. i have a shuttle sff which does not. Anyway your IDE cable should have a secound connector just down from the end(my shuttle sff does not). Set the jumper on the hardDrive connected on the end of your IDE cable to master; set the jumper on the secound HD to slave.

Originally posted by Vector
Nope, no problems. As long as you've got an empty connector on your IDE cable. Stick the 20GB drive back in as a slave drive.

... oops. I'm not supposed to say "slave" anymore, am I?

;)

No I think you have to call them A primary challenged drive now don't you?:confused:

Just make sure your jumper settings are specific - some motherboards don't like cable select.

Ok does it matter that xp pro is already installed on the hd i took out?
Will it cause any problems when i hook it back up etc...?

Depends if you want to keep XP Pro or not. You have to choose which drive/OS you want to boot off in the BIOS.

If your second drive has op system loaded.....boot from new drive and you can choose to format and remove the old disc op system from within My Computer by right clicking the drive.
You can use an external caddy (USB2 connection best) to connect your old drive if no second bay space inside your machine.
They use IDE cables inside the caddy and USB outside connections

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back