Hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Welsh, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Welsh

Welsh Guest

Hello all
    I've just swapped my 20gb hd for a 40gb one and it seems to be working fine,but i was woundering if i could put the 20gb drive back in as well so i'd have 60 gb altoghether. Would there be any problems?

Thanks.

2. Vector_One

Vector_One Guest

Nope, no problems. As long as you've got an empty connector on your IDE cable. Stick the 20GB drive back in as a slave drive.

... oops. I'm not supposed to say "slave" anymore, am I?

;)

3. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

Shouldn't be any problem. Your case should have an open bay to mount it in, however some cases do not. i have a shuttle sff which does not. Anyway your IDE cable should have a secound connector just down from the end(my shuttle sff does not). Set the jumper on the hardDrive connected on the end of your IDE cable to master; set the jumper on the secound HD to slave.

4. dpr

dpr NTFS Junkie

No I think you have to call them A primary challenged drive now don't you?:confused:

5. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Just make sure your jumper settings are specific - some motherboards don't like cable select.

6. Welsh

Welsh Guest

Ok does it matter that xp pro is already installed on the hd i took out?
    Will it cause any problems when i hook it back up etc...?

7. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Depends if you want to keep XP Pro or not. You have to choose which drive/OS you want to boot off in the BIOS.

8. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

If your second drive has op system loaded.....boot from new drive and you can choose to format and remove the old disc op system from within My Computer by right clicking the drive.
    You can use an external caddy (USB2 connection best) to connect your old drive if no second bay space inside your machine.
    They use IDE cables inside the caddy and USB outside connections